Saturday, January 21, 2012

ME - Machine Embroidery that is

After my last post, I decided to alter one of the things we learned in the embroidery class.  I don't have any nylon organza in my stash (not surprised are you?) but I will be getting some.  Anyway, I substituted sparkly tulle for the organza and it worked.  What I did was use a layer of water soluble stabilizer with a layer of tulle on top and bottom.  I hooped it and stitched out a butterfly that was NOT designed as "free standing lace."  Then I washed out the stabilizer, trimmed down the tulle and I got this:



I did two shots with different lighting so you could get a better idea.  Now this can be used as an embellishment by just tacking down the center and leaving the wings loose.  It can also be stitched around with invisible thread to fully sew it down.  Or it could be pinned on a headband or.....well you get the idea. You are only limited by how far outside the box you can think.  Cool huh?


Then I went to the computer to pull some of the designs off the discs that were in the packages I got at the show.  I was surprised and highly disappointed to find that they will only work if you have (buy) Floriani's software.  Not a good marketing strategy if you ask me.  I now have 5 discs of designs that I can't use unless I find someone who has the software and will convert them for me. (These are .cs2 files and as far as I can tell  no other software will read them.)  That has really put me off on recommending ANY Floriani products.  Sorry, but it is just a very bad way to treat customers. 
Oops!  The above was a mistake!  I figured out MY mistake and the designs work fine.  (see this post.)
But on to happier things!  Today I decided to embroider a cute little teacup that I got free from Embroidery Library.  They are a great place to get embroidery designs.  This one happened to be free, but I have bought a number of designs from them and they have all stitched out beautifully (as long as I didn't mess it up.)
So here is the finished product, still in the hoop 


I should have printed off the color change sheet before I started because my machine substitutes strange colors. As I was stitching out the first color (pink here) I went to the site to look.  Oops, it was supposed to be a medium taupe. Still, l like how it came out. 
Did you see that I now have a blog button that you can grab and add to your blog? Check the sidebar on the right, it is right under followers. 

21 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry about that crappy business of you needing a certain software in order to use those designs on the disks you got...that does stink to treat customers that way. *sigh* As for the butterfly, it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I like the teacup, too. I wish I could get my head in the right place to learn this machine I have here from my church so maybe I could do some fun and pretty things, too. :(

Barb said...

I like how it turned out, I saw those free designs...but today I am working on a fun assignment given to me by a friend.....should be fun...

Sorry for the lack of software, I know it is disappointing when you think you have all of this fun stuff and then wham....but knowing you, you will make the best of it.

Quiltin' Sandy said...

The butterfly is beautiful, Gene. Sandy. :)

JJ said...

That is an awesome butterfly. I love how well you ME turns out. I want one but it will have to wait, I just had to buy a new washer and they dont come cheap. The whole time I was thinking about the embriodery machine I could have bought with that money.

Unknown said...

I can't see your button, just the code, I copied the code, but didn't work for me.

limpingalong said...

I recently looked for some new programs for my Viking embroidery machine and found out that I needed to buy new attachments that made it all way too expensive. There are lots of patterns that I already have but....was disappointed.

Love the butterfly. I can do those things on mine, also. Thanks for the head's up on the Embroidery Library -- didn't know about this and I downloaded four designs -- didn't get the cup you showed but did the snow/snowman designs. FOR FREE! In the right format!

Unknown said...

Hi Gene. Your embroidery looks great! :) I like your button too and will add to my sidebar.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I like embroidery library. They have so many great designs and sales! Love your flutterby!

Tangos Treasures said...

Love how the butterfly came out!! Bummer on the software, so not right!!!

Kathleen said...

Gene, there should be a way you can convert those files....If you want to wait to May when I am home, I may be able to convert them for you...I have Buzz Tools at home which should convert them for you...

Kathleen said...

I love the way you embroidered out the butterfly....

KatieQ said...

Great idea with the butterfly. I've done FSL, but never tried to do that with a regular openwork design. I am addicted to Embroidery Library. I can't resist when they have their 10 for $10.00 sales.

Barbara said...

I especially like the addition of sparkly tulle. Don't know if organza could look nicer!

Royce said...

Gene I really like the sparkly tulle too. It gives your butterfly a mystic look. I also like the pink behind the tea cup - to me it might be better than the taupe. Love the new look of your blog.

Denise :) said...

Gene, the teacup is darling -- I love it! And I can't believe you did the butterfly on an embroidery machine. That's fantastic! And it's so pretty, too!! :)

VickiT said...

The organza is awesome to use. It works great and some FSL designs aren't done quite as perfect as they should so by adding that layer of organza it can save a poorly designed FSL design. Also, organza is stable enough that you honestly don't really need to use the stabilizer.

As far as the .cs2 file format - that sounds like a Corel Draw format. Strange. Anyway, if that truly is the embroidery design format you might try downloading Wilcom TrueSizer to convert those files. TrueSizer is a free program that can be downloaded here Gene
http://www.embroiderystartup.com/FreeStuff/WilcomTrueSizer/tabid/203/Default.aspx

And for a quick video tutorial on how to use it to convert design formats, check on Juli's website. She did a video so it would be easier for people to figure out how to use it quicker.
http://www.sewweird.com/WilcomTSConvert.html
Juli's designs are wonderful too, especially if you like Vintage type designs. She is super nice. My husband and I have met her and her family a number of times on our trips over to MI.

Anyway, try that to see if it helps you out. I'm off to bed now so I'll check later or give me a holler if you need more help.

Rhonda said...

Cool method for the butterfly.
As for that file you can't open..... can you go the the quilt store and have them open it? If so, then you could save as whatever file is preferable to you...

ooglebloops said...

Butterfly is beautiful - but I LOVE the teacup!!!!I will try to add your button to my blog - I saw it on Tonya's blog this morning! You do get around!!!LOL

Snoodles said...

Your butterfly is awesome! Wow! I really like the Emb. Library, too...sometimes I just browse them to get ideas for some of my line drawings that I make. It's a nice resource.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Very cool cup and butterfly Gene. I have to learn more about the Floriani Software myself....I didn't know the designs were specific like that.

Smiles,
Kelly

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

So cool with the butterfly! NOT cool with the "free" designs. Why do they do that!?