Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Who Is This?

I was getting ready to sew last night when I spied this fellow on my sewing machine.
Hey, wait a minute!  He has my Aurifil thread sampler under his arm.  Cheeky monkey!   Whew! I rescued my thread.  Now I wonder what this fellow's name is?  Maybe he will tell me in time.  I am sure you will see him again.  You may want to suggest a name.  I asked if it was Rumpelstiltskin but he just smiled and shook his head "no."


I solved the photo dilemma, although I still have the SD card stuck in my computer.  (another SD card and a different transfer method)


So here is a picture of the fabric I got in the remnant bundle from fabric.com
I also made my first mug rug last night. It isn't perfect but it is great for me, I used my favorite color- blue. It was done as a challenge. I had five "rules/suggestions" which I could use all of /some of/ or even just one.   I managed four out of five.



(1) I used only non-square rectangles. There are no "square" shapes in the piece.  Try designing a quilt project without allowing any square shapes! I had to draw it out several times. Ha ha.  
 (2)I stuck with a monochrome color scheme. 
(3)I used Pigma pens to add words and images to the finished product. 
(4) NO borders were added. 
All the measurements for cutting the fabrics are 1", 2" and 4" -that is raw cut. It is sewn with 1/4" seams. It is just right for my mug and a cookie or a couple of crackers.
I don't know if you can see all the words.  It says "1, 2, 3 Coffee or Tea" "Have a cup" (drawing of cup and saucer) "Smile" (and a drawing of a smile)  This was added AFTER it was finished with a BLUE pigma marker - in keeping with the monochrome theme.




11 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL on the sock monkey! Nice stash & mug rug!!

Pat said...

Cute...I think little Ralphie is a bit of a bugger for trying to steal your thread. (I'm not sure why Ralphie popped into my mind...maybe because I think that is the name of the little boy in The Christmas Story who wanted that gun for a Christmas gift and he seemed a bit of a rascal, too!!!) LOL Maybe my Spencer and your little guy will get to meet someday! :) NICE project you made with the cards....it was fun to use my set.....figure it would result in something out of my usual mold...and it did. I posted a picture in the Flickr group on Quiltspirations. You should put yours there, too...or maybe you already did?

Barbara said...

for a minute I thought I was on Pat's blog! Nice mug rug, I like the challenge rules. I haven't made one at all, but my friend Barb of Qulitin' Stamper made one for me. One less thing for me to make, and it's much nicer than any I would have made!

Cyndi said...

Really like the mug mat, Gene. I think you did a great job following all the guidelines, and I love the drawings you added with your pen! And I LOVE the monkey...I have a real soft spot for monkeys. Had a little sock monkey when I was a kid and I took it EVERYWHERE with me. His name was Jimmy Monkey...you can use the name if you'd like! ;o)

XOXO,

Cyndi

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

What a fun way to make a project! I used to do that with scrapbooking.
It never occurred to me to try in in sewing.
I just posted a picture of your little buddy's big brother on my blog. You should definitely go see him. :)His name is Monkey. We are very creative with names at our house.

I think your little guy's name is Stitch.

http://harriethomemakerstrikesagain.blogspot.com/2012/01/hi-can-you-see-me.html

Rhonda said...

Cute little sock monkey and aren't you talented with the mug rug... love it.

Barb said...

Too funny Gene...glad you rescured your threads...sheweee...to think what he would have done with them and maybe even use your machine...you need to tell that monkey that your machine if off limits and to get his little bum off of it.

VickiT said...

I just love sock monkeys and really love that little guy. I think you should name him Rockford. I say that because Rockford IL is where the sock monkey was born. In fact, every year there is a festival in Rockford at the Midway Village called 'Sock Monkey Madness' and you can bring your monkeys to the 'hospital' for repairs if they are ripped. http://www.midwayvillage.com/exhibits.cfm?id=1003

Great mug mat.

GerryART said...

Why it's Ziggy Jr there on your machine guarding your Aurifil
My daughters had a 'pet' monkey years ago who went by the name of Ziggy. This guy reminds me of him.

Great Mug Rug. Hope it's encouraging you to eat more cookies with you cup of Joe.

hugs
Gerry

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow I missed this post. Cute monkey.....if you haven't already named him.....mayebe 'Auri' (Au-Reee)

Unknown said...

I love monochramatic quilts...they can challenge you that is for sure.....Is that the same monkey that Pat now has?