Saturday, February 04, 2012

Blocks, Books and "Why"

Saturday is usually a good day for me to get in some sewing. I made this block today.  It is not perfect, I realized after a bit of sewing that this probably works better with wider stripes.
Still,  I really think it came out pretty good.  It suits my love of wonky-ness.
This is a big block as you can tell by the picture below that shows the book that taught me to do this.
Now. before someone asks that I do a tutorial on this, I need to tell you some of my philosophy.  Several people have asked that I show how I do my "quilt as you go" method.  But that method is not mine.  I learned it from a book and adapted it. The author has since written a new book "Finish Almost Any Quilt."  I have written just one pattern and a LOT time and effort goes into this type of endeavor.  The author of the book deserves the same consideration I would want for myself.  They did the work, so if you want to see their method, they deserve the pay.   When I develop an idea on my own, I will be happy to do a tutorial on it. (unless of course I am planning to write a book or pattern based on it!)

The truth is, I LOVE showing you how to do things.   As I wander along in my quilting, I am sure I will come up with some new things to show you soon.

7 comments:

Richard Healey said...

I love the first quilt book I bought. And I have returned to it many times. I agree with the not giving walk though for something some one else has published. I always try to give credit back for all pasterns or even ideas I get from others.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Gene this is a really wonderful mentality. As a fellow artist I appreciate it so much because there's not enough of it out there. Kudos. You're a true gentleman!

Rhonda said...

Gene you are so right about giving credit. I think sometimes we forget so thanks for the reminder. We quilters are so use to sharing. We are good people!!! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

Teresa Quilts said...

Gene, I love the new look of your blog. It is awesome! How did you do the background? I agree totally with your comments about giving credit where credit is due. If one doesn't, then it is a copyright issue.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

That really is a honking big block! How do you plan to use it?

BTW I like your fusible birds and puppies, they're too cute and the batik is just what you needed. I was going to buy a GO cutter but the cost of the dies made me change my mind. Fast.

Pat said...

Holy Hannah.....that block is HUGE!!! Did you do it in 4 small sections and then join them?

Unknown said...

I love this block......I thought it was fabric until you said it was a block......nice job...