Sunday, February 19, 2012

Design Floor - Eye-llusion update (Plus!)

Whew.... I have been working on the Eye-llusion quilt.  I have enough fabric for nine of my desired 12 squares. I will probably just use the nine squares and add some borders to make it bigger.
I have six of the squares laid out on the design floor.
They are not laid perfectly but  you can see that even with just six blocks, once it is joined, the optical illusion of the curves shows up. When it is sewn I am sure it will be "WOW!"  I love this simple-to-make but complex-to-the-eye design.  It is just fun.
The best part is that I designed it in Electric Quilt and I cut the pieces with the AccuQuilt Go! cutter.    I wish you could see it in person, the colors are much better. Maybe we will have a nice sunny day to get a good picture once it is completed.

And then I designed this in Electric Quilt 7
  
The coloring adds extra dimension to this design.  I see so many secondary patterns that I doubt I would ever get tired of this in a room.

Oooh..I am a guest artist today on Artfabrik by Laura Wasilowski
.

9 comments:

MyCretanlife said...

Yes I can see the curves. Its funny how that happens.

Tangos Treasures said...

Love it!!!

Pat said...

Looks like you used the triangle in a square die? I have that one, too, and love how it can fool the eye into thinking there are curves where there aren't! GREAT work on the real top in progress AND on the EQ design!

Barb said...

I love this Gene, it is fantastic!!

Pat said...

I mlove the Eye-llusion top, especially the colors.

I have to tell you that I watched your Go! cutter stash busting videos, and will be taking my Go! to our guild meeting on Tuesday. The project this month is for everyone to bring in scrap fabrics appropriate for kid or I-Spy quilts, and we will spend time cutting them down into usable shapes. I don't want to haul all of my dies, but will probably take the charm square one and perhaps the smaller tumbler. Thanks for giving me the idea!

Barbara said...

It's already wow, Gene. Love that curve illusion!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

your Eye-llusion really pops! I knew more blocks would make the difference. Congrats on being a guest artist on Artfabrik, I like really like the free-nesss of Laura's work.

quiltmom anna said...

I really like all the designs- I can see one beautiful bed quilt in your new EQ design. I will look forward to seeing it in fabrics..
Regards,
Anna

Unknown said...

I really like that design floor......and I saw you on artfabrik....I knew that bird looked like one I had seen before.....