Sunday, August 05, 2012

Bobbin Work - How to

Back a couple of weeks ago, I posted this picture:
And mentioned that I bypassed the bobbin tension on the machine I was using. (Previous post here.)    A couple of people asked what I meant by that.  An idea for a video was born!
In the video, I show how to wind the thread on the bobbin (if your machine works this way.)  And how to bypass the tension.  I will say that this does NOT work on every machine.  My particular Babylock has a different way of handling the bobbin thread and it doesn't work on it.
Here is the video:
Bypassing the Bobbin Tension


Bobbin work is a great quilty embellishment -Check out Quilty Embellishment day. 

I have finished the original piece that I used this technique on (the one shown above.)  Here is a picture.  It still needs a binding.


10 comments:

Melissa said...

Great video! AND I have 2 Janomes so I could totally do this! Thanks Gene :)

Linda said...

Thank you for showing us this. I've been told about it before, but the video really shows it well!

Linda said...

by the way, you did a great job of demonstrating and explaining what you were doing! (Not an easy job when being filmed!)Bravo!

Miss Hillbilly said...

But I have a Janome and it will work! I really like your piece with all the different types of thread work. I need to look closer and see just what all you did do!

Alice said...

Hi, Gene. I saw your comment on Laura's blog. I don't know if you meant by your comment of "no men" Laura's blog and her featured artists or our group, The Material Mavens. I am sort of the "den mother" of the group or the web master. I think the rest of our eclectic group would LOVE to have a man! Let me know via email if you're interested, and I'll tell you more about The Material Mavens. Meanwhile, go to our blog and check out what we do.

Mystery quilts at http://thematerialmavens.blogspot.com/2012/06/mystery-quilt-mosaic.html

Our latest theme, Daydreams, at
http://thematerialmavens.blogspot.com/2012/08/daydream-mosaic-at-last.html

B J Elder said...

"testing"
Love the piece you made!

Snoodles said...

When I got your email, I zipped right over there to check it out....great job, Gene! I love how it turns out -- now I have another reason for the word Janome on my Christmas list! Heehee!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for the informative video! Your art piece is amazing!!

Sarah said...

Cool! I'll try it on my Janome.

Pat Merkle said...

Your bobbin work is fabulous!