Saturday, August 25, 2012

One block - check those points

 Although I am still not up to par, I did want to get at least one of the Beginner's Quilt Along blocks made.  I managed to finish this one.
If I have learned anything in this quilt along, it is how to get a more precise finish - Check those points! They match up as good as anything I have ever done (maybe better!)  I also learned that close is not good enough if you want the points to come out right.  One of my four patches was slightly less than the right size. I picked it out and re-did it.
Another thing I learned to do is swirl the seams to make the block lay flatter.

Uh...ignore those loose threads I haven't picked off yet... But when you swirl the seams on a four patch. you get a mini-four patch on the back.  Notice that all the seams are pressed counter-clockwise.  Then you just finesse that center a bit to get the  mini-four patch and press.

Please note that there is a lot of hacking going on in yahoo email accounts.  If you have a Yahoo email account you may want to go in and make your password stronger.  Here is a decent article on how to create a strong password.

On yes, Richard has a giveaway going on over at his blog!

11 comments:

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

I really love the fabrics in this one and those points are beautiful! I hope you are feeling better. What is it about those summer colds...why do they feel so much worse???

Patti Williams said...

great job! Hope you are feeling better!

Barb said...

I need to become more of a precise in my piecing....maybe I should join the group.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. Wonderful block! I just recently learned about swirling the seams, too. It does make the block lay much flatter.

Melissa said...

Looking good! Feel better :)

Julie Fukuda said...

Nice to see you up and running (and winning too)
I am amazed that there are people out there that can get those points to meet and swirl those seams BY MACHINE! I can do that by hand but if I did the machine thing I would spend half my life picking it out.

Barbara said...

I admit it, I don't do precise piecing on my backs. I do all I can to match points on the front, but I accept the back as it is. Ive even come to accept twisties here and there. Cringe, I know. However, you calling the back seams when swirled a "mini four patch" gives it importance and makes it more interesting! Nice work!

Teresa Quilts said...

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Melissa ;-) said...

Great work!!

Linda said...

Looks good! You must be feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Your block looks beautiful - and fabric choice, as well as nice matching corners, is a big reason I like it. I don't swirl my corners, but I use the seams going in opposite directions to pull against each other and make the corners meet.