Friday, August 31, 2012

The Blues

No, I don't have the blues.  Blue is my favorite color.  I prefer a pthalo blue which is a bit toward the aqua/turquoise side of blue.   When I was younger it was more true blue.  At one point in my life folks started calling me "Blue Gene" - I finally asked "Why do you call me Blue Gene?"  They told me something I didn't realize about myself.  "Everything you wear is blue!"  Sure enough, when I looked in my closet - everything was blue.  

Ha ha..I have gotten sidetracked from the point of this post.  Tonight, August 31, 2012 is the occurrence of a "Blue Moon."  I remember as a child hearing my grandmother say, that only happens once in a blue moon.  I assumed that meant almost never.  After all, I had never seen a blue moon.  The moon was always white, yellowish, or sometimes -on a special night orange.  But, I thought, if it can turn orange, why can't it turn blue?  Ha ha, gotta love the childish logic and belief in "magic."
(I still believe in magic. when my quilt points line up - it is magic. when I hear a song that takes me outside of myself - Magic again! Reading a good story - magic!)
So what is a blue moon?  A blue moon is when there are two full moons in one month.  Since typically there is one full moon a month, it is truly a rare occasion.  
Songs have been written about it.  This one is by one of my favorite singer/songwriters.  It has been recorded by at least two other artists, but I like the songwriter's take on it best.  If you know it, sing along - I always do.


This weekend I will be back to sewing (yaay!) and I will hopefully have some pictures to show you. Meanwhile, be sure you go out and see the blue moon tonight (if it isn't too cloudy - and that looks like a possibility here.) Just don't expect the moon to be the color blue.

12 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

I'll be sure to peek out and look tonight. I believe we should be able to see it here.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I've never heard that song before...she has a very pretty voice. Thanks Rockin Blue Gene!

Giggles,
Kelly

Teresa Quilts said...

I'm glad to hear you are getting back to sewing, Gene. I think it is neat about the blue moon, but I bet we won't be able to see the moon at all, if some of these clouds don't dissipate. Can't wait to see what the New Gene looks like since the bruising should be about gone by now. :D

Barbara said...

Blues are my favorites also. I didn't know what a blue moon was either until I made my series of Native American Full Moon dolls. Reading about the traditions enlightened me. Maybe it helps relate to this to be a July "moon child" by birth. I don't know, am just aware of being mesmerized by the moon. You are right, it's all very magical!

Barbara said...

Blues are my favorites also. I didn't know what a blue moon was either until I made my series of Native American Full Moon dolls. Reading about the traditions enlightened me. Maybe it helps relate to this to be a July "moon child" by birth. I don't know, am just aware of being mesmerized by the moon. You are right, it's all very magical!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I am a blue lover too. And We will be watching the moon tonight.

Rhonda said...

My grandma use to say that, too. I love the moon, looking at it via the telescope, fascinating!
Can't wait to see what you'll be sewing up next!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Love the song. My granny also used the phrase "once in a blue moon." I use it myself! Blue has always been my fav color. I have moved on now...my fav color is now orange. I still love blue though! Have a great long weekend! Keep on sewing!

Sarah said...

I love blue too and my closet is mostly blue with a smattering of green or pink here and there.

Another blue moon song by a hometown boy:
bit.ly/owAIh

Pat said...

I still wear mostly blue! GREAT color!! But for fabric, I seem to have mostly green...go figure! Our blue moon was very visible and looked orange at one point to many but when I saw it high in the sky, it looked like a regular "moon" color......and it was a really clear night, so it was nice to see it. For the previous full moon in August, I was in Florida and saw it there. Amazing how we can be so far apart and enjoy the same beauty each day/evening with our sun/moon!!!

Linda said...

Since I'm going backward and catching up on my reading, I missed the blue moon! I am with grandkids right now. It would have been fun to point it out to them.

Tangos Treasures said...

Great song!! Too funny about all the blue clothes!! Moon was beautiful here!!