Thursday, August 09, 2012

Ride the Roller Coaster and more

The latest block from the Beginner's Quilt Along is being called "Ride the Roller Coaster"
I did my warm version in brown, gold and green.  I already had the center piece with the  machine embroidered applique star ready to go. So all I had to do was make eight half-square triangles and put it together.

I broke into my Aurifil thread stash and sewed this.  WOW  I love the way that thread disappears into the seams. And when I filled the bobbin I had a thought; "As much thinner as this thread is, the bobbin will last a lot longer!"  I love a bobbin  that lasts and lasts.  Don't they always seem to run out in the middle of  a seam every time?

Okay, I have a "confession" to make.   I will be going to have a small surgery tomorrow. You see, heredity and the years have not been kind. My eyelids are drooping terribly.  It has affected both my peripheral vision AND  the amount of light that comes into the eye.  If you promise that you won't run away screaming in terror I will show you a close up. This is me at my worst. (I apologize in advance)

As  you can see, the upper lid actually rests on my eyelash.  On a bad day my eyelashes are almost completely hidden.  

you can see that the right lid is worse. 
Here you can see how saggy those eyelids are. 
It wasn't always this way.  Some -several years ago, I had some black and white pictures made. 

I was young and a bit silly. I call this the cover of my Inspirational Album.  But it does show how the marked difference. Look at those eyelids. 

So tomorrow I will be having an upper blepharoplasty or as it is more commonly called an eyelid lift.  I am both happy and a bit anxious.  I will be out of commission a bit.  There is a possibility of blurry vision for a few days - and that means no sewing. It may also mean no computer.  So if I am MIA for a few days, you will know what happened to me. 
Should I share the pictures I am going to get a friend to make of me with "black eyes" after the surgery?  Would you like to see the stages as it heals?  Let me know.  I am not too vain to show them. 

13 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Since my lids are very droopy too (had to have a second test at the eye dr. to see why I didn't see all of the flashing lights at the top) I would like to know all I can about this surgery. I would be interested in photos. I hope your dr. does a terrific job of it!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sure glad you let us know you would be MIA. I'll keep some special thoughts and prayers for you. My friend had it done and sees much better now.

Love you block!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery! I'm curious as I know you wear glasses on occasion - did this affect your ability to wear contacts?

Unknown said...

For sure show pictures! This surgery is probably in my future as well. I'd like to know what I'm in for!
My mom did it over 20 years ago, and she still looks fabulous!
Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your surgery. Yes, please post your recovery pictures. I had the same surgery in Apr and I wish I had not put it off for so long. I was really tired of holding one eye open so I could see tv and read. Driving was starting to be a problem, that was the last straw. I'm so glad I had it done, and I'm sure you will be happy too.

Linda E in NM said...

Gene, my husband had this surgery last year. He was stunned after the surgery to discover how much peripheral vision he had lost due to the drooping tissue.
Make sure you follow your doctors orders post-surgery -- no bending over to pick up something from the floor (ask my husband what happens when you don't listen....)
Good luck!

Jodi said...

wishing you a speedy and successful recovery, Gene! What a handsome lad you were, or ARE, I should say!

Pamela Kieffer said...

Best of luck. I have been wishing to have this done for years, is it to late> (80)

Melissa said...

Good luck today! I hope your surgery went well and all is good.

Julie Fukuda said...

Wishing you all the best! As long as they leave that twinkle, everyone will be as happy as you.

Sarah said...

I hope it went well and that you make a speedy recovery. I wanna see more of those black and whites!

Cyndi said...

Aw, now I see that I completely missed this post! My friend Dee's eyelids looked just like yours. She also had the surgery because her eyelids were obscuring her vision...but the added bonus was she also looks fantastic! I know you will, too! And yes, I agree with Sarah...would love to see more of your black and whites! :o) Speedy recovery, my friend!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Quiltedtime said...

Am just reading this post, but hope your recovery is going well. I had the same surgery several years ago. This difference was nothing short of a miracle. I didn't know how badly the problem was affecting my vision until it was corrected. I just remember my eyes feeling so tired all of the time. Not so anymore. :-).