Friday, August 03, 2012

Meet Me At the Fair

Here is Block Nine of the Beginner's Quilt Along that Pat Sloan has re-named "Meet Me At the Fair"
I did the warm version first.  I will do the bright version this weekend.

I love embroidered applique embellishments.  If you want to see more ways people embellish quilts go to Quilty Embellishment Day

This week's tutorial also shows a way you can make eight half square triangles using four seams and two pieces of fabric.  I fudged just a little and added an extra half inch to my two squares of fabric.  Instead of the suggested 10" squares, I used 10.5" squares.  Then when I cut them into pieces I just pressed them open and squared them down to size.  It gave me a little leeway and the came out perfect.  I do like this block - and of course I added a bit of embroidered applique to the center. I need to do that for one more block so I have four of them.  Then I will either put them in the outer corners or down the center of the quilt.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a cool block. I can see how several of them together would make a great pattern!
Have you noticed any activity on your Biased Cutting video? I was singing your praises on my tutorial the other day! :)

Barbara said...

It's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Quiltingranny said...

I love it and so bright and cheery!

Linda said...

Oh, I do that too! (I thought I was cheating. So glad I'm not the only one!) I have such a hard time being precise, I just cut my pieces bigger and then trim them to size after sewing. Yours is going to be so pretty!

Snoodles said...

This is great, Gene! I love this block, and the little applique is the perfect touch!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Nice job Gene!

Why am I not surprised you cheated? LOL

Giggles,
Kelly

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice!! Love the colors!!

Barbara said...

One more comment, love the fussy cut center!

LuAnn said...

Love the colors in your block.