Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Quilt Along -So Far

The Beginner's Quilt Along on the Quilting Gallery site (button on the left sidebar!) is already through block ten and I think block eleven posts tomorrow.  Soon I will have to decide on sashing fabrics and bindings.
For now, I have did a quick layout with each group of blocks I made.  I didn't do very good layouts.  I noticed that when I looked at the pictures.  Did you know that taking a picture of your layout really helps you spot things you could make better?  Well if you didn't "ya heard it here!"

Pictures!!!


On the second set (brown, gold, green and red) there are four blocks with embroidered applique and two blocks with fussy cut centers. The three blocks with solid centers are just begging to be blinged up with some  embroidered applique.  So I just have to decide "what" and do it.  I will say that it is easier to add it BEFORE making the block and then just cutting out the square to put in the center.  Oh well, I didn't decide until it was too late for that.  It sounds like a good time to use the sticky backed stabilizer.

There will be twelve blocks total...and one extra for an on point setting.  I will use ONE extra block on the backing.  I am thinking the rail fence type block will be the one for that.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Those blocks look great. My favorites are the second set. You are so right about seeing things differently when you take photos of your work. It's another perspective.

Barbara said...

Hmmm, I don't know...seems the blocks without center elements draw attention to those that have them. I'd probably leave them alone and distribute them evenly in the quilt.

Susan In Texas said...

Hi Gene,

You asked about a replacement for fontina cheese (which I was able to find at the local Albertsons). Well, it's a mild white cheese. You could probably substitute shredded mozzarella or gruyere. The whole tomato tart only calls for 2.5 ounces of shredded fontina, so it's not too crucial, not like having really good tomatoes (heirloom or otherwise).

Thanks,
Susan in Texas

Melissa said...

Wow! I love those blocks together. I am always amazed by how much fabric choice influences how a quilt turns out. Love it!

Barb said...

I love both color ways.

Snoodles said...

Love both of these sets of blocks, Gene...it is amazing how different they look in the different colorways!

sewtakeahike said...

your quilts are going to be awesome, Gene! I do that too, decide to add something to a block after it's made and think, hmm, that would have been so much easier to add before the block was made!

Sherry said...

I have followed along this this but I wish I had made two sets of blocks. It is fun to see your two sets and how different the colorways present.