Sunday, August 19, 2012

Men and Quilting

While some think of quilting as something "old women do"  we know better. First of all there are plenty of young bright women quilters. Also  quilting is as varied as the people that quilt.  From functional bed quilts to bright happy lap quilts to extreme modern art quilts, there is a vast variety.

However,  Men Quilt Too! And if  you are reading my blog you are aware of that.  Are there any men reading my blog???  Looking through my followers I found ten of the 367 that I am sure are men.  I am pretty sure some of the men that read my blog are not followers.  I happen to know that three of the men that are followers are not quilters.  (yes I try to keep up with my followers and if you are one - you are appreciated! )

Now,  I want to tell you about a great Quilt Show that I was a part of last year.  I didn't win anything, but I had a GREAT time with it anyway.   The show is  Men Quilt Too hosted by Pigtales and Quilts.
I am trying to drum up some competition for this show.  So I am asking you if you are a man who quilts to consider entering the show.  If you are a woman who knows a man that quilts, ask him to enter.  I don't mind not winning.  I will mind greatly if this show goes away.
If you blog, maybe you could link to this post OR to the Men Quilt Too post.

In other news I am starting a new art piece that I can have as a carry with me handwork project.  I LOVE making these.  Here is a picture of the beginning, I haven't even finished the machine stitching.  But I have some fibers couched onto the stabilized fabric and some of the machine stitching started.
The fabric is some that I dyed when I was experimenting with hand dying fabric.

The photo helps me to see what might need done to the piece next.  It seems obvious to me that I need to add some lighter, brighter lines.  Well back to work!

P.S.  There is a cool giveaway over at Eat, Sleep, Quilt.

14 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love the purple. I will be anxious to see more. If we could see it in phases that would be great!

Barb said...

I really think this is your greatest strength....combine your knowledge of art with quilting and you come up with some fabulous designs.

Marjorie said...

I completely agree with Barb - love the purple and can't wait to see what you do with it. Will blog about the Men Quilt Too 2012 Show.

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

Both my younger sons quilt.. I hope they keep it up over time or at least come back to it.

Rhonda said...

I love your new project. Purple is a great color. A lot of folks are afraid of it but I love it. Can't wait to see more.

Melissa ;-) said...

I created a blog post for you, Gene. And I wish you the best of luck!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'll let Nick know and ask if he is interested. Guys definitely do quilt and they are amazing too.

Kelly

Royce said...

Love the fabric you are working with. Beautiful! I know one guy who quilts and I'll pass this info on to him.

Linda said...

When quilting became an art form and not a necessity, more men came on board. Thank goodness for that! Most men are not afraid to "break the rules" and think outside the box when it comes to quilting. That has paved the way for women like me who want to express themselves and not just follow a set of rules!

Kate Brown said...

That is a beautifully vibrant color and i just love it!! I am looking foward to seeing where you go with it, you always amaze me )

SewCalGal said...

Very interesting project. Of course, as a scuba diver I'm seeing tentacles of jelly fish. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this piece. I'm sure it will be great.

I'm also looking forward to the Men Who Quilt Show, that Thearica hosts. Great show!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Richard Healey said...

You will be happy to know that I have already pieced my top and have started to quilt it. So I will also be part of this. I have shared your post with all of my quilting friends.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

I can't wait to see this finished!

Quiltingranny said...

A few years back when I had back surgery I interviewed a male quilter and set up the interview to go out while I was in the hospital. It was a great piece and like you he was amazing!