Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Table for----

I am sure most of you have thought "Is he still sewing?" or "What is going on with Gene?"  The truth is that I have been busy with a lot of things and my energy has been sapped.  Things are getting under control I think and I have actually made one small project and am working starting on another.

First the finished project!  Yippee, don't you love a finished project?
For all of my sewing days, I have had to run into another room to iron my pieces.  That takes a lot of time and energy. I have seen various ways people have set up a small ironing surface near the sewing machine and I decided to make my own.
I took a TV table and measured the top.  I got already had some ironing board cover fabric - the nice shiny kind that reflects heat back.  And I had some batting and some backing fabric.   I fiddled around and made a simple ironing pad with ties to put on the tabletop.  Oh yes I put two layers of batting. I hope that was a good thing to do.

Here it is sitting up:
 You can see one of the ties hanging down.  And here is the underside so you can see how simply it is tied on. There are two bow knots there.  So I can easily remove it to wash it OR to use the table for something else if needed.


Right now on my cutting board I have a piece of fusible fleece and some scraps.
I am going to take the scraps and cut them up even smaller and layer them on the fleece and iron it down.  Then I will back it and quilt it heavily (or as my grandpa would have said quilt the "beegeebers" out of it!)   Then with some type of binding it will be a nice little snack mat.  I saw this on Stitchin' Therapy by Debbie and she reminded me that she got the idea from Wanda at Exuberant Color - which I also read.
Will mine look as good as theirs?  I guess we will wait and see.

Are you working on a project right now?



6 comments:

Pat said...

Nice little ironing table!

Anonymous said...

Oh so fancy! I'm not sure I want to describe how I solved the ironing problem... Yeah, it's a good thing my table is ratty to begin with.

Tangos Treasures said...

Love the ironing table!! Can't wait to see the snack mat!!

Marjorie said...

Hi Gene,
Catching up on your blog--love your table, your Tombow projects. I know exactly what you mean about needing play time. Sometimes I just can't get started on a project until I get that play time out of the way.

Average Quilter said...

I did something like that for my regular ironing board. I cut a piece of wood and used basting spray to attach the batting and top fabric. I ended up using a canvas and I stapled it to the underside of the board. Now when I'm quilting I just put it on top of the ironing board. Amazing I no longer have little threads stuck on my clothes

Beth said...

I have seen them with the fabric stapled, I like your tie on so it can be washed. Or you can snack at the table. My new sewing room is sooo tiny I can hardly move qabout when the board is up. I think you just figured out how to make it better.