Saturday, May 04, 2013

Play Time - Curves

While I need to be sewing on the project with a deadline, I just needed some play time.  Do you find yourself needing play time so that you can create for the pure fun of it?  I do.
So I have made three blocks using a curvy, wavy joining technique.

They are the same blocks - just two different pictures since I couldn't decide which to use. The smaller blocks are 7.5" and the larger one is 9.5" Yes I will manage to get then in the same quilt most likely. Nothing like adding a bit of a challenge to a project.

If you are wondering how to do the wavy lines, I did a video in March of 2012 for the Quilts of Valor project.  I will embed it here for your convenience.

Have you tried sewing curves freeform like this? If so do you like it or feel comfortable with it? It is a bit more work than straight seams, but it can add a lot more interest to your quilts.
If you have any questions about the method, be sure to ask.  The only way we learn is by trying, asking questions and trying again.  You can use scraps to play with this method which helps to free you from the  voice in your head that says "I can't waste fabric"  Remember, learning is not wasted.
Do you want to play?  I did my play - now I need to work on my project for church.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Everyone needs to play. Fun curves! Very colorful. :)

Unknown said...

Yes I need to stop projects sometimes just to do something fun and artsy. But I have also done those gentle curves and I actually found it kind of freeing...like yeah I don't have to or I can turn a little to the left then to the right....I hope you had fun...

Lindi said...

Thanks, Gene! :)

Cindy said...

Play time? you best believe it...

And it might be sooner rather than later. LOL
Hugs

Rhonda said...

Wow, Gene. Excellent tutorial on wavy sewing. Watching gives me the confidence to try.
I do have a question about how to video. On yours, there were several starts and stops to get from cutting area to sewing area plus words clips to add to the flow. I'd love it if you'd do a tutorial on how to video....pretty please!!!!