Monday, May 27, 2013

More Scrap Play

In my last post, I showed how I used some "unusable" scraps to make fabric by fusing it to medium-weight fusible interfacing, then sewing all over it.
I managed to sneak in some  more sewing time this holiday weekend.  Again I had no plan to "make something" but rather I played in the scraps again.
In all fairness I have to confess that some of these pieces in the pile were already sewn.  But I pull them all out when I start because you never know which pieces will fit together.
When I do this, I simply take a pile of scraps (that are ironed flat) and sit and start sewing.  I try to find pieces that fit together. If they don't fit, but are close, I sometimes sew those together too.  Then I can trim them later.
As you can see, this piece didn't quite fit.  No problem!  I can trim it so there is a straight edge when I go to press the seams flat.
This is a really fun way to start an improv quilt top or a pieced backing.I really like using various sized pieces and building something from them.  It makes for a far more interesting design.
When I look at these pieces, I have a memory book of some of the quilts I have made. Right away I see two baby quilts and one Trip Around the World quilt.
I will take these and add to them to make larger "blocks" that can be joined into a top or backing.  As I am writing this, I just realized that I could set a few of the pieces in a solid background and make a very interesting Modern Quilt.
What do you think of this method?   Do you ever just sit with a pile of scraps and start sewing?  Have I convinced you that it might be fun and worthwhile?   Remember, those scraps cost the same "per yard" as your quilt top cost.

I will remind you that today is the last day of  Crafty's Memorial Day sale. There are several classes on sale at serious bargain prices. There is one class on sale that is about using scraps-Big Techniques from Small Scraps by Sarah Fielke. The regular price is $39.99 but the sale price is $19.99/  If you have been wavering on taking a class now is the time to try one.
Craftsy
For those in the USA - Happy Memorial Day.

1 comment:

jdqltr said...

Happy Memorial Day to you too!