Tuesday, November 05, 2013

A Little FMQ and a confession

Hi dear readers.  I have been doing a lot of "this and that" lately.  For example, tonight I tried a recipe that is totally other for me.  I have cooked butternut squash before, but I have always always baked it just cut in half and seeded.  However, I saw a recipe in a diabetic cookbook for butternut squash fries. The picture was tempting to say the least.  
The  finished product wasn't that much like fries, probably because I didn't turn them "often" as instructed.  Ha. I didn't turn them at all.   Still, they are delicious.  I put some in a container to take for lunch tomorrow and then I ate the rest.  Yes I will repeat this!

The only sewing/crafty thing I have done in the last couple of days is this:


I free motion quilted this block. I didn't really plan the quilting at all but just sat down and sewed.  I think I like the back best. The quilting shows up better and has a lovely abstract texture grouping.

So what else have I been doing?  You may know that I am a serious book addict.  I have been reading a lot.  I think it is triggered by the change in the weather.  I love to curl up and read when it gets cooler.  Right now, I am reading  Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson.  I have read at least a couple of her other books and I always enjoy them.  Now, forgive me while I get back to the story....

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

9 comments:

Sue said...

I love butter nuts, roasted, steamed, or made into scones, yummy.

Marjorie said...

Your FMQ looks great--and I like the back too. We're big sweet potato fans, but haven't done much with butternut squash--my few attempts were pretty feeble. Maybe I'll tackle it again. I have a couple of her books on Audible that I haven't listened to yet. I think I need to turn it on and finish some knitting this weekend.

Barbara said...

Oh, so is THAT all you've done?! Lol...way ahead of me. As always, incredible FMQ!

Pat said...

LOVE the way the back of the quilt looks, too!!! What...no picture of those "fries"????

Rhonda said...

I'll have to try your squash recipe...sound yummy. The quilting looks great. You have inspired me to try to do more of my own quilting and not be tied to stitching in the ditch....LOL
As for reading, I have to sometimes set my timer just so that I don't miss cooking mom's dinner...I love to read!!
Take care my friend!!

debby said...

I LOVE butternut squash fries. Rutabaga fries are my latest obsession. I also enjoy adding butternut squash to a light mac and cheese dish!

Pat Merkle said...

Nice quilting Gene. I love butternut squash, yummy.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I love butternut squash and usually prepare it has you do - cut in half and baked. So easy and so good. I have eaten butternut squash ravioli and it was excellent but I'm not about to take the time to make it - lol! Love you fmq!!

Elaine said...

Butternut squash is also good cubed and baked with a little salt, pepper brown sugar-yum! Your quilting is really coming along-I am going to get brave and practice again someday. I am working on Agatha Christie's "A Murder is Announced" just before nap time:)