Saturday, November 30, 2013

Life After the Holiday

First of all, I must say that I had a delightful Thanksgiving holiday at my Mother's house. My brother and some of his family were there.  My aunt and uncle and their youngest daughter were there along with my niece and her two girls. Oh yes, my nephew showed up late but he was there too.
Early on some of us played "Heads Up!" since my niece had it on her iPhone. That was a lot of fun.  We did several categories. If you haven't seen this game ask around to folks you know that have an iPhone or an iPod Touch.  You can laugh a LOT.

The food was delicious.  I contributed a corn casserole and a custard pie. There was a LOT of food there. Almost everyone brought something. I ate a lot!  It was mmmm  mmmm good.

Black Friday was a day of rest and relaxation for me.  I do NOT participate in the crazy shopping. I just don't want to be in that kind of crowd.

Today I decided to use some fabrics that I won on a blog (A Legacy of Stitches).  I actually won some poinsettia fabric AND she shared part of a departed friend's stash.  I am having a great time with these fabrics.  I am adding in some of my stash as needed, but these two blocks came from that stash.
 I used a stack and cut method for making these.  It is really easy. I didn't worry about corners matching either. It was just fun- cut and sew.

I also realized that I never showed you the scarf I wove during my recent sale.  So here is the finished product.
I think it is prettier in person.  It is a nice long length - about 7 feet - and has a twisted fringe.  As I was weaving this at the show several people showed interest.  One of them took a card (apparently) and sent me a message.  She is interested in a class on weaving.  This tells me that my thoughts of teaching weaving when I retire is a good idea.  I will probably also teach some quilting classes as I have had one shop owner ask if I teach quilting.

Right now, I am going back to make more stack and cut blocks.  I hope you have a great weekend. d


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

10 comments:

Barb said...

So glad that you had a fun time....love the scarf!!

Barbara said...

Of course (!), you will teach when you retire. You are good at it (I've seen your video tutorisls) and it will be a labor of love. :)

Holee said...

You should try making a long scarf that you can wrap around your neck twice...tie the ends together and add a few large beads to some of the strands...this is my best seller. It looks real good with the fringe in the center or too the side of the neck and is "in" fashion with the ladies.

Jeanna said...

So glad to hear you had a nice holiday with your family. Corn casserole sounds awesome...it's been years since I've had corn casserole. (Note self...make a corn casserole!) Of course, it's been MANY years since I've enjoyed an Alabama holiday!

Love the scarf!

Unknown said...

Glad you had a great holiday Gene and I love the scarf and the freedom of your block......have a great day.

suemac said...

That is a beautiful scarf. Have fun with your blocks.

Pat said...

Sounds like you had a perfect day! I've not heard of that game you mentioned, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun. How much longer for retirement? (Are you counting months/days yet??)

Beth said...

Any game with lots of laughing is a good one. The scarf looks beautiful, is it hard to do those long stripes? Seems like it would be complicated to do. But it looks perfect so you certainly mastered it. I am in awe of all the diferent patterns you have done already.
No Black Friday shopping for me either. My sister and daughter always go out in the wee hours shopping. UGH no way .
Happy stitching

sewyouquilt2 said...

glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. you will be a great teacher. Your blog proves it.
scarf looks nice.

MarveLes Art Studios said...

sounds like you had the perfect holiday as far my tastes are concerned, gene! beautiful blocks and beautiful scarf! i saw vicki's too; very, very beautifully done!