Thursday, November 07, 2013

Book Finished, Loom Started, Free Classes

First of all, I finished the book  that I started Tuesday night.  I finished it Wednesday night - it was one of those you have a hard time putting down. The ending was a real surprise with some twists and turns along the way.  In case you missed that post, it was Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson.

After finishing the book, I decided to put a warp on the loom and get a new project started.  I found an interesting yarn that is what I call a zigzag yarn. It is grey with a white thread running through it which adds a nice texture.  I didn't think it would be a good warp thread so I saved it for the weft. For the warp I used a simply grey and added a few stripes of dark red for a color splash. Then I started weaving.
The red looks a little darker than in this picture.  I wanted to try a lace pattern called Leno in the weaving. So I did a  header of 20 straight plain weaves.  Then I did two rows of the Leno.
Here is a close up of the Leno section.
You can get a hint of the white running through the weft thread in this picture. What you can't tell, is that the white is a shiny thread and really adds a sparkle to the work. (I think the white is either rayon or nylon.)

I also want to tell you about two new FREE classes on Craftsy.
1.  Gail Kessler is teaching  "Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quiltmaking Skills"  Even though I know the basics (at least I think I do)  I will be taking this class just as a great refresher.
2. Kirk Tuck is teaching "Professional Family Portraits"  I think this is a great class for all bloggers and anyone who is planning to take a Christmas card picture (hint hint)  I am also thinking we will learn some things that will carry over to making our blog pictures better.  Yes, I am signing up for this one also.

I love the classes on Craftsy and FREE is a price that can't be beat.  So, what are you waiting for?

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

4 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I've not read a blog in forever. Was nice checking in. Your weaving is sooo pretty! Don't be making me want to try something new!

Petit Design Co. said...

thanks for the heads up on the photography classes. I'll be signing up for that one!

Barbara said...

The new weaving is beautiful, was waiting to see this special yarn in action. I always love a different fiber for sparkle and softness. Yes, you were born to weave!

Beth said...

I like that open lace pattern. And I can see the white thread in it. Too bad the sparkle doesn't really show up. I do think the punch of red is great. Your weaving is so perfect.