Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Splendid Day to say I love you.

Happy Valentine's Day.  I love my readers.
As for the splendid part, today is the kickoff of the Splendid Sampler Quilt Along.  The first block is by Pat Sloan.  It is titled "Hearts Aflutter"  and mine looks like this:
The pattern had the heart upright and centered on the center line.  But I saw someone's block that had the heart tilted and I liked mine tilted also.  So I did it "my" way.   I did the applique differently than I originally planned.  I used Elmer's glue to  hold it in place before I stitched it.  I put a thin line of glue around the back edges, put the heart in place and pressed it until the glue was dry.   Then I took it to the sewing machine and sewed it in place with a type of blanket stitch.

The Splendid Sampler will have 100 blocks that are 6 1/2" inches square. There will be many techniques used.  I am sure I will take a pass on some of them.  And there will be two blocks released each week except for Christmas and New Year's Day. The blocks will come out on Sundays and Thursdays.

How long will I keep going at it?  Only time will tell.  But two small blocks a week isn't bad at all. As for fabrics, mine will be totally scrappy.  I will use whatever strikes my mood on the day I make the block.  For me, that makes it far easier to keep going.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

5 comments:

suemac said...

I like your attitude. Whatever strikes your mood that day. Cool.

Jeanna said...

What a fun see along. Enjoy!

Barbara said...

The only way to do it is "your way"! That's what we all expect. :)

Debbie said...

I just looked at these on Pat sloan's site....yours is great.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I love your block #1, the polka dot fabric is wonderful. It is going to be so much fun to watch each others progress.