Monday, February 22, 2016

Creating for Theatre

One of my "other" loves is working with a theatre group.  In my town, the theatre group is mostly volunteer as many community theatre groups are.   One of the directors contacted me a few weeks ago to assist in a production of  Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike.  I am working in the wardrobe/costume area.   Some of the costumes are easy as the actors find them for themselves or even use their personal clothing when it works for the character.  Some are not so easy to find.  One of the pieces we needed was an apron with pockets for the housekeeper.  In this day and age few people use an apron. Those we did find either didn't have pockets are were not suitable for the rest of the costume.  For the sake of a quick change, it should not have to come over the head either.

So I did a little searching and found a few free patterns to work from.  I took ideas from several of them and came up with this apron.
The top is one of my woven works that was already on the mannequin -so just ignore it....although, I think it goes well with the apron.  I made a simple gathered apron with a waistband that ties. I used more of the waistband fabric to trim the tops of the pockets to add a bit more visual punch to the solid apron fabric.  I think for a quick sewing project, it came out nicely.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Quick for you, Gene, and if I had made this, I wouldn't have called it "simple". Lol! It's lovely!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It came out quite nicely!! One of the first things I ever made in 7th grade "Home Ec" class was an apron with ties and a pocket - oh, the memories - ;))