Monday, February 15, 2016

More Love - Applique

Truthfully,  I have never really liked doing applique. There, I said it. But, surprise!  With the first Splendid Sampler block, I found that it isn't so bad.  And there are lots of ways to do applique.  If I do it, I generally prefer fusible.  This time I really didn't do fusible on either of them -except the glue to baste the one yesterday.

Today I tried again.  I had looked at a method using a fusible web product but it had no backing. All I have has backing except MistyFuse which was too thin for this.  So I improvised!
The method I saw had you sew the fusible web around the outline of the applique piece, cut a slit and turn on the sewn line.  Then you fuse it down and sew around it again.
Lacking the fusible web for this, I said "What else might work?"  There was a roll off tulle (6" I think) sitting in the cabinet.  (((Lightbulb!!!)))
I sewed the tulle around the shape onto the face of the fabric. Cut a slit and pulled out the paper. It turned pretty easily.  And then I ironed it. ---Would the tulle melt and make a horrid mess? - Whew, it didn't melt at all.
So I made a second Hearts Aflutter block:
I also changed the piecing a bit.  I made the corner cover squares larger - 2 inches instead of one and a half inches. 
I think I am having fun!
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

7 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I haven't been quilting much lately but I feel drawn to join in this quilt-along. Tulle is a great tool for appliqué and you don't have to worry about ironing the wrong side. I've done that more than once. I like your idea about using larger squares for the corners. I think I'm going to borrow it. I only find out about this project on periscope a couple days ago so I haven't chosen my fabrics yet but I'm hoping to make the block tomorrow. I'm planning on doing needle turn for this one because I need the practice. By our blocks look great, I'm looking forward to see what fabrics you choose next.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a great block! I make labels and foundation-paper-pieced hearts from my quilt scraps (for a memory quilt) and use plain old muslin the same way used the tulle - cut a slit and turn it inside out. It turns all of the edges under and then all I have to do is pin/glue/tack it in place and applique around the edges - easy, peasy - ;))

Peace Thyme said...

Wow. Great invention. Applique is a technique that has many possibilities for us.

Barbara said...

I have found the stick you sent last year to be perfect for holding appliqued pieces in place. Can't remember the name of it, but I still have some left. I like doing appliqué if there are not a lot of sharp points and turns. The hearts are perfect!

Barb said...

I just might have to join and well..you know I love applique....looks great!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

It is a lovely block, very creative. I too am doing the Splendid Sampler.

Marlene said...

Wow, this block is a lot smaller than I realized.