Thursday, February 18, 2016

Wings - Block 2

Today block two of the Splendid Sampler was published.  I made it, but I confess that I did not enjoy this one at all.  It is basically all piecing with a touch of embroidery.  I haven't done the embroidery just yet, but the block is pieced.  Remember that these are 6 1/2 inch blocks.
Each little square or half square triangle is 1 1/2 inch square. Those  are tiny pieces.  But they time I had all the subsections made I was tired of it.  My butterflies are not all facing the "correct" direction but I don't care.  The only way I would make this block again is to make each piece at least 2 inches square before sewing.  It was way too fiddly  and time consuming for a block of this size.  It will also make a lot of bulky seams to quilt over.  There are 46 pieces in this block.
If there are any more blocks that have this many pieces, I will be replacing them with something else.

That said, I did it!  So it was a learning experience. I think this would be a great design to make with a 5" square charm pack and yardage for the HSTs.  Then it could be the center of a medallion quilt.

You can see what it is supposed to look like here.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

4 comments:

Dot Moore said...

Gene, when I looked at the pattern this morning I thought that this one would be a little on the difficult side to get it accurate. Your block is beautiful and I hope to get mine made tonight.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your block looks great!! - and I'm probably weird - but I LIKE blocks with fiddly pieces - not that I can always get them to come out right - but sometimes fiddling with them is kinda relaxing and FUN - if I'm not in a hurry to make something - which I'm usually not - ;))

Barbara said...

I've done small-pieced blocks, but one has to be in the mood. I totally get that you won't do it again, but congrats for doing this one! Btw, butterflies are *supposed* to go in different directions! :)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I like your butterfly colors and the blue and white rose fabric looks like the sky. I'm losing all my outsized points and I'm fine with it. My block ended up larger than 6.5" before squaring up. No worries. A block this small in a 100 block quilt won't be noticed. I hope this is the last block with this many pieces but I have a feeling it won't be.