Friday, February 12, 2016

Dyeing to Warp

Several weeks ago, I decided to make two wool warps for my loom.  They will be used on the loom at the same time and woven as a single piece of cloth.  So why didn't I just make one warp?

Reason one is that I had plans to dye these warps. That is also why I used wool. I find wool much easier for me to dye.

So the two warps are now dyed and look amazing!   Here is a photo but I am not sure it does justice to the colors and intensity.

In the top warp you can see that there were parts that didn't dye completely. The blue end had come un-chained.  When I rechained it,  the part that was inside showed more.   I suspect this will happen randomly throughout the warp.  The truth is that this makes me very happy.  It will add more color and "sparkle" in the finished cloth.  This should be very fun to weave once I get it on the loom.

I have recently used a skein of hand dyed cotton yarn that I got from Blazing Shuttles website  to make a warp.  That warp is on my loom right now.

This is the warp rolled onto the warp beam at the back of the loom.

This is some of the fabric when I started weaving on the warp. Those bits of "white sparkle" are where the dye didn't penetrate the skein and left lovely variations in the threads.  This warp is a warm gray and violet/purple combination.  It is so much prettier in person than I am able to photograph it. I have about six yards of weaving to go yet.

I have more projects going than I have time to do...that is why my posting has been rather sporadic lately.  I am thankful for those of you that still drop in to see what is happening AND for those who comment.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Yes, they look AMAZING!!! I LOVE the colors, and to get an unecpected result is always a bonus!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Stunning colors on the dyeing job, Gene, simply gorgeous. The grey and lavender is also very pretty--your eye for color improves each passing year. Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Beautiful!! The little white bits and other "variants" make the yarn interesting and even more beautiful than if it were all one color. And though I may not always comment, I do check in to see what you are up to. I figure if you're not blogging - you are probably playing with something FUN that you will share when you get the chance - ;))

Kathleen said...

Would you look at those beautiful colors!!

MarthaVA said...

The dye job is so beautiful! Can't wait to see it completed. What will you use as weft?
martha

Marlene said...

I always look in on your new posts, but it's difficult to comment from my phone and I sometimes don't get around to revisiting on the PC. This spectacular hand dyed warp is well worth a second visit though! I can't wait to see your progress when you start weaving it.