Sunday, February 21, 2016

Forget it!

I am done with the "Splendid Sampler" quilt along.  The last block was 46 pieces.  The block released today is 48 pieces.  These are 6 inch finished blocks.  There are lots of bits cut off and tossed in this. (wasted fabric.)
So I am removing the widget from my side bar, unsubscribing from the emails, leaving the facebook group and moving on.  Clearly this was not a quilt along that I should be in.  I don't like fiddly tiny pieces and wasted fabric.

 Instead, I will do things that I enjoy - that is what life should be filled with!
What things do you make  that bring you joy in the process of making them?  Do those things. Life is short, so make it as sweet as you can manage.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

13 comments:

Debbie said...

lol...join the club, Gene. It's okay to toss a project and move on. I so agree, you should do what you enjoy. Just turn those blocks you did make into mug rugs or a small table topper.

Carol Swift said...

I could never do that either...I don't like tiny pieces! Good for you to do what YOU want to do

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

i'm with you

Barb said...

I don't like fussing over blocks either.....

MarthaVA said...

I'm SO on that same sheet of music. I could never, ever be happy cutting up fabric into such teeny pieces, then having to sew it back together again. I'm about simple, happy, and productive. If something is that aggravating, then it's NOT for me. Good on you for trying it, and deciding if you wanted to stick with it. We're all allowed to try something and decide if it works for us or not, and then leave it if it doesn't. Life is too short to suffer, and not have fun! :D

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Moving on is good advice. I love and do tiny, but I also realize you can really kill a project when you get too fiddly and you have a quilt the will be nothing but seams and impossible to lay flat or even put a needle thru it to quilt it.

Jeanna said...

BRAVO! Wise words, Gene.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I loved the first block but these last two were killers. With blocks this small and so many pieces/seams I doubt I would be able to quilt the finished quilt evenly on my domestic sewing machine. I think I'm going to stay in and only make blocks that have a few pieces and then make extras of those. That why I'm not a fan of mystery QALs. You don't know what blocks you're going to make and it's hard to choose fabrics.

Barbara said...

Good for you! I've done this at times as well. Continuing would be foolish!

Dot Moore said...

Gene, I made the same decision. I will concentrate on making quilts that I enjoy sewing rather than be frustrated by something that I am not enjoying. Looking forward to seeing your next quilt top.

Average Quilter said...

I agree completely.

Hilachas said...

Haha. I enjoyed your blog post and couldn't have said it better myself. I also quit this quilt-along.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

AMEN!! I joined a quilt-along once - and quit shortly thereafter - then I made my own sampler - MY way - ;))