Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Stringing Along

A couple of weeks ago on The Cutting Table blog my Moda, they announced a "String-Along."  If you follow that link it will take you to the information. 

I have loved making string quilts since soon after I started quilting. Back in 2009 I made a quilt using a number of string blocks with some various other blocks.
That quilt was gifted to a close friend who lets me sleep under it when I visit.  It is well loved and well used.  I have had to repair a few seams that popped because I was a baby quilter when I made the blocks.  But it is a fun quilt and it always makes me smile.

So I will be doing the string along with Moda - although my fabrics will be a wide variety of scraps from many manufacturers.    I have chosen to make blocks that finish at 6 inches- so I will need to eventually make LOTS of them to make a good sized quilt.  Of course I have the option of making a medallion from the small blocks and adding larger blocks around it.  Ha ha.  Only time will tell.

I played in Electric Quilt to consider possible layouts. Here is one that is strangely fun.

Because I will be using lots of various scraps mine will not be this consistent in color. The thing that stands out to me in this design is that there are wonky rectangles on point.  I am seriously considering using this layout for my blocks.

Do you make string quilts?  Have you ever made a string quilt? 
I would love it if you decided to string along.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Love your rectangle idea. I'll be playing along with the Stringing Along as well. I'll be working on Bonnie Hunter's Sand Castles and possibly a diamonds pattern for a smaller quilt. LOVE your comment about "when you were a baby quilter". 2019 I hope to finish some quilts I started when I was a "baby quilter". The seam allowance of 1/4" wasn't quite right or as important then as it is now. They will be sweet, "baby quilter" quilts, hopefully with humble finishes in 2019.

Rhonda said...

Hi Gene. I love & make string quilts often. I like the variety of ways to make them & even if I make the same design but use different fabric combinations, the quilts look different.

Barb said...

I love your design. I love doing these to us up my scraps. It is nice to go to a home that uses the quilt you have made and are loving it.

Jocelyn said...

Great design Gene. I have made two string quilts, and love to use my scraps. They are fun and an easy quilt to make.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like that rectangular design. I usually make my string blocks without a foundation if I'm using all batiks because they don't stretch and ravel like other fabrics.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, goody - another Squirrel!! I like that rectangular design, too!! I'm playing with some neutral 3-1/2" string blocks now - so making some multi-colored 6-1/2" blocks would be fun - ;))

Vicki W said...

Oh yes! I like this layout a lot!

Debbie said...

Great layout! Can't count how many designs I have done, but always love a good string quilt. It speaks to my thrifty nature.