Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Beat The Heat - Blog Hop

Today is my day for the Island Batik Beat the Heat Blog Hop featuring  the Spring 2019 fabrics from Island Batik.   My fabric line to share with you is Graphic Gems.  This collection won my heart.

So how do we "Beat the heat" in Alabama?
We have lots of methods.  One classic way is to enjoy the early morning cool and the late evening cool.  And I am going for the late evening way of beating the heat.   It is a true delight to take a blanket - or better still a quilt - outside to place on the ground (or perhaps a truck bed.)  Then we lay out in the cool(er) breeze of the evening and look at the wonder of the stars.  To me, stars have always shown the magnitude of creation.  So, my creative soul chose to make a star quilt with these lovely fabrics.  




I used the AccuQuilt Go! Qube 8" set and the two companion sets (Angles and Corners) to make my stars.  Lots of pieces were carefully but quickly cut and laid out into blocks.
These were sewn together to make 12" finished blocks. Since the 8" Qube makes 4"sections, it was simple to use those sections to make a 12" block.
I love the richness of the colors and how the patterns in the batiks play together so well.  The low volume "whites"  really add interest to the background in this block.

As I had planned the quilt in Electric Quilt 8,  I printed out one of each block to make the sewing easier.  I didn't sew the wrong pieces together using this method.

I hope you have been noticing the lovely visual textures and designs of these batik fabrics.  There are rich darks and  amazingly rich colors.  And I have to share my favorite fabric(s) in this line.

Yes, I love these Gears fabrics.  The gears, propellers and concentric circles make my heart just sing.  I particularly love the lower one because of the multiple colors in the fabric.

Have I talked and teased too much already? I have a lot of glamour shots of this lovely quilt.  So let's look.

 The quilting is a simple stipple design done on my domestic machine with an off-white/bisque Aurilfil thread.  The batting is Hobbs Cotton Batting with scrim - one of my favorites for quilting on my domestic machine. This quilt has been washed to get the lovely "crinkly" texture that makes me so happy.


Stars in the Southern Skies

You know you wanted to see the backing  
 For the backing I used two of the fabrics from the quit and added a different Island Batik fabric called Raindrops in Grape from the "All A Flutter" collection that I purchased specially for this quilt.  you should know that various lines of fabric from Island Batik play very nicely together.


A puppy was playing with her owner in the park and she came to give her approval to the quilt. She was so sweet!

How about a few close-ups?

For the binding I also used the Grape Raindrops fabric, but I added a flange with a teal from the Graphic Gems collection.
Here are a some closeups of some of the blocks. You get the opportunity to 
enjoy some of the fabrics up close also.



I even added a few raw edge appliqué stars in the "blank" areas in the top and bottom rows. 

The fabrics for this project were provided by Island Batik.  The batting was provided by Hobbs Batting an industry partner for the Island Batik Ambassador program.  Some of the thread was provided Aurifil - an industry partner.  The Go! Cutter and some of the dies used were provided by Accuquilt - another industry partner.  Thanks so much to all of you.

You should really visit all the stops along this blog hop.  You will be blessed with inspiration.

The official Island Batik Blog is having a giveaway each week of the hop. Below is the current widget for the giveaway.




Also check out the other Ambassador's posts as some of them are having giveaways also.


Monday August 5
Leanne Parsons - The Devoted Quilter
Sherry Shish - Powered by Quilting

Tuesday August 6
Bill Locke - Studio BIll Locke

Wednesday August 7
Sandra Walker - Mmm! Quilts
Terri Vanden Bosch - Lizard Creek Quilts

Thursday August 8
Pamela Boatright - Pamela Quilts
Kathleen McCormick - Kathleen McMusing

Monday August 12
Karen Neary - Sew Karen-ly Created
Carol Moellers - Carol Moellers Designs

Tuesday August 13
Michelle Roberts - Creative Blonde
Laticia "Tish" Stemple - Tish's Adventures in Wonderland

Wednesday August 14
(Debora) Anne Wiens - Sweetgrass Creative Designs

Thursday August 15
Tina D Dillard - Quilting Affection Designs
Bea Lee - Bea Quilter

Monday August 19
Joanne Hart - Unicornharts
Carla Henton - Creatin’ in the Sticks

Tuesday August 20
Connie Kauffman - Kauffman Designs
Vasudha Govindan - Storied Quilts

Wednesday August 21
Vicki Schlimmer - Vicki's Crafts and Quilting
Mania (Magdalini) Hatziioannidi - Mania for Quilts

Thursday August 22
Gail Sheppard - Quilting Gail

Monday August 26
Maryellen McAuliffe - Mary Mack's Blog 
Jennifer Strauser - Dizzy Quilter

Tuesday August 27
Connie K Campbell - Freemotion by the River
Joan Kawano - Moosestash Quilting



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

35 comments:

GranChris said...

I love the design and the colors are to die for. Beautiful!

Debbie said...

Wow, you outdid yourself on this one! Love your star block creation but the Southern Skies quilt is fabulous. Now I know what you have been hiding. Those glamour shots are beauties. Super job!

Anita said...

Beautiful star quilt, love it! The colors of Graphic Gems are gorgeous and the sampler layout shows them off in a great way. Well done!

Judy H said...

I love the story behind the quilt. And love the colors of the quilt.

Joyce Carter said...

Wow Gene! Your quilt is really gorgeous! I love Star quilts and this one has so many blocks that I love. The fabrics are really beautiful too. Thank you for sharing.

Vicki in MN said...

You had some gorgeous fabrics to work with-oh wait they are all gorgeous!! But really that is a stunning quilt shining brightly.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Gene, your quilt is wonderful! I love start quilts and you outdid yourself with all of the different stars.

Karen said...

This is beautiful, Gene - all of it: the stars, the fabrics, the photos! I especially like the stars on the white background at the ends. They just sparkle.

diane said...

Oh the stars are brightly shining in your quilt with those luscious fabrics.
You put together a great set of star patterns and you hit this one out of the ball park!

Barb said...

Those fabrics are amazing....thanks for all of the pictures featuring the fabrics. Your quilt turned out FABUUUUU LOUS....

Anne Wiens said...

You rocked it, my friend! This would be a great BOTM project.

Lori Smanski said...

wow your quilt is fabulous. You really show cased these lovely fabrics. Thank you for sharing and for inspiring. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

Calicojoan said...

Wow, wow,wow...what a stunner. Beautiful fabrics and those blocks are awesome. The only thing more perfect than this quilt, just might be that adorable puppy who approved it too! :-)

Vasudha said...

I love the colors and designs on this line. Your blocks and the way you put them together is awesome.

cghundley said...

Oh this design is
amazing and gorgeous!
Carla from Utah

For the love of geese said...

Great job Gene. Such a pretty finish and your park pal is cute.

Nancy J said...

Wow, this is shining with those Island Batiks, and what could be better than an outdoor shoot with the puppy for full approval. The flange binding is a perfect finish.

Carla said...

Your quilt is awesome. Love those fabrics.

Turid said...

Great quilt for sure.

Jennifer Thomas said...

Hello Gene! I love this fabric collection. I made a quilt for the catalog in it, but I LOVE what you did with it waaaaaay more than my quilt. The star blocks you chose look awesome together. My new favorite quilt of yours. :)

Angie said...

Such a beautiful quilt!! I absolutely love these fabrics! Especially the gears. Both of your quilts are just amazing!! Enjoy your day!! :-) :-) angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

Cecilia said...

What a beautiful star quilt! The colors really make the stars shine! Thank you for sharing your quilt with us.
cecilialyoung at gmail dot com

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
Love the way you're "Beating the Heat!" What aa beautiful quilt! The fabrics are wonderful and you showcased them perfectly!
Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Diantha said...

I love the colors in this line, and your quilt using them! I like the "Flanged" binding too. I haven't tried that yet.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! You've been teasing this quilt here and there for a while now - but it was certainly worth the wait!! I love the colors - and your choice of star blocks. But I especially love how you were able to use the 8" Qube parts to make a 12" block - same 4" units - just 3x3 instead of 2x2 - ;))

Linda C said...

It looks stunning, Gene. Must be a joy to play with such gorgeous fabrics!

Anna brown said...

I agree the gears are so cool great for a man quilt....or table topper. ..great quilt and ty for sharing your talents with us..... happyness04431@yahoo.com

teachpany said...

Gorgeous! You made something traditional with a Gene flair, perfectly done for this fabric.

Katlyn said...

Precut fabrics are a wonderful way to try new fabric!

Creativeblonde66 said...

Wow, an absolutely stunning quilt 😍

MaryBeth said...

Precuts make quick work of making a quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Rhonda Best said...

Your quilt is amazing!
Precut fabrics are a wonderful way to get straight to the fun of sewing.
mtmom57@gmail.com

Jayne said...

I love the way this quilt has turned out and great quilting

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Wow...looks great. Love all the various stars.

Sally said...

Love the colors and how they play well together. The design is ideal and that puppy who visited really has good taste!