Saturday, August 03, 2019

Fabric Decoupage and a Quilt Basted

A day or so ago, I saw Jackie Kunkel's video on FaceBook showing how she decoupaged some clear glass plates with fabric on the back.  Her plates looked awesome.  I stopped in our only nearby hobby store looking for supplies.  They didn't have the dishwasher safe Mod Podge, so I got the Gloss version and decided to do something similar but different.  I cruised around the store and found a little metal bucket on clearance (49 cents!) and a storage box for 99 cents. 

Friday afternoon, I sat and played with fabric scraps and did some decoupage.  It isn't all that pretty but it was fun and I learned a few things for next time.
Here is my bucket

And here is what I did to the top of the box
Neither of these is great but I know to plan a design ahead of time when I try it again. 

Saturday morning I pulled out a quilt that I had started to baste once before and got it basted.  
I even stabilized it with some walking foot quilting so I can easily quilt it later.

As I was basting this quilt, I realized that I love it more than I knew. It is extremely scrappy and has a lot of memory fabrics in it from other projects. I think that the one green diamond makes it somewhat modern also. I plan to give this as a gift but I would be quite happy to keep it. 

For now, I have another Island Batik quilt that I am quilting - slowly.  I can't show it yet.  But it is silly and fun.  (or at least I think so.)

Don't forget that the Island Batik "Beat the Heat" blog hop starts Monday. I can hardly wait to see what my fellow ambassadors have to thrill us with.  My day will be August 14th but you don't want to miss any of these posts. You can see the full list AND register to win Island Batik fabric at this post. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your decoupage bucket and storage box look great - having fun and learning things for next time - I can relate to that!! And it's nice to know ahead of time that you need a PLAN - LOL. Your quilt is beautifully scrappy - I can see why you don't want to part with it - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

One of these days I plan on decoupaging a sewing machine case for one of my vintage machines. I'll be using sewing themed fabric (whole pieces).

Barbara said...

Oh wow, you are regressing just like me! First I did decoupage, then papier mache. Is that next for you? Hehe. Seriously, I love your fabric decoupage. I tried it on canvas and gave up, but on other objects is a good idea! I like your colorful result. I think my failure was due to using glue instead of Mod Podge. I didn't know there is dishwasher safe one, and you probably don’t need that for a bucket and box anyhow. I already have the glossy kind. Methinks I need to play with decopage-ing fabric!

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh, Gene, I love your decoupage. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Scrap quilts have always been my favorite. I love yours. It's great that you jumped ahead to the stabilizing stitches. It will give you more incentive to start quilting. Sometimes we need a little help on those large ones.

Angie said...

Awesome decoupage!! So lovely! I've been reading about how to do that lately! Yours are cool. And I absolutely love love love your Scrappy quilt! So many colors and it just looks amazing!! So pretty! Enjoy your day!! angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your decoupage projects look good. I have always loved the craft, but I'm pretty sure I never used fabric. I may give that a try. Your's is a great scrap/string quilt.
xx, Carol

Debbie said...

Love the bucket! Lots of ideas that could be incorporated in that project. Always better to look at fabric pieces than a plan box!
The string quilt is wonderful. Each one of these make a statement with a personality of its own.

diane said...

Never did decoupage, but always enjoyed seeing what others had done and your trial run looks cool. Makes me want to try it. Scrappy quilt. Love scrappy quilts. The green block sets if off so nicely. Understand your feeling about the quilt and the best thing is you can keep it!

Kathleen said...

Funny you should be blogging about this little metal bucket. I have a metal tin that I thought would make a good project for my granddaughter to cover with fabric scraps. I know you won't get notice of this comment because my email is uncooperative on blogs, but just in case you look at your own blog posts, did you have to scuff up the metal before decoupaging? Thanks for sharing.
kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Kathleen said...

I was just thinking of doing this! I have a need for containers for my thread and the dog treats are in a plastic box, that will work for some of the threads. That quilt is fun, and I do like the one diamond!

Barb said...

I love all of your projects, and I must try this.