Monday, August 26, 2019

Crumbled Potato Chips

Surely this never happens to you, but sometimes I just mess up royally.   Such was the case this weekend. 
I bought some fabric to make more of the diagonal cut Four Patch Posies.   I very carefully cut repeats from the fabric. Once across gave me three of them. Then I took a little break.

When I came back, I was ready to get with the sewing.  I grabbed the repeats and cut them into squares.  Then I cut the squares into triangles.  I grabbed a stack of triangles and started laying them out.....OOOPS!  I only had three - where was the other one.  I grabbed another stack - Same!
Like a ton of bricks, realization smacked me in the head. I had only cut three repeats and carefully lined them up.  Phooey!  Now what? I started looking at the pieces and decided that two from the first set and two from the second set would still look interesting. So I laid out as many as I could.

Hmmmmm. There is a single from every stack left. I sat for quite a few minutes arranging and rearranging them until I was okay with how they looked.
Here are the results.

At least they look interesting. I think with some borders and a little creativity I can still make a fun quilt with them.

But lesson learned - watch what you are doing!  Ha ha.   if you take a break, stop and look again with discernment before you jump in.  And if you mess up and crumble that bag of potato chips, realize that you can still use them to top a casserole.   (yes I am reaching for that comparison to tie the title to the story.)
Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Joyce Carter said...

Ha Ha Ha I wonder what would make you think quilters would ever make mistakes. LOL Just kidding. I know I have made a ton, but have learned from them and use "my mistakes" for something else. I think your blocks look awesome. I really like the designs they make--they all are very interesting.I think quilters are very creative.

Barbara said...

I agree with Joyce! Not only is it all interesting, but also it’s my favorite color! “Every quilt is beautiful”.

Barb said...

Mistake is my middle name, love what you are doing...glad you have time to do a little Gene time.

Karen said...

Very good advice Gene, to pay attention. (said the woman who spent the afternoon basting her quilt together...with the joining seam on the outside.) Sigh...

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Crumbled potato chips go well with lemonade - LOL. Not that I have ever made a mistake - meaning "one" mistake - I think I've made a gazillion of them - so I know how you feel - ;))

Kathleen said...

Too funny - but a great adjustment for the ingredients on hand!

Pamela Arbour said...

That's the hard part with those types of blocks. I have only done one but I bet I counted those layers 6 times before I actually started cutting because I had to have 8 repeats and that's a lot of "potato chips" if I get it wrong! Glad you salvaged it!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thank you! I am new to quilting and hate cutting. I think I'm being so careful and OOPS. Measure twice before you cut. I constantly repeat that mantra. It's reassuring to know that even seasoned quilters make boo boos.
xx, Carol

Jeanna said...

Good thing I like potato chips :) Love that fabric!