Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Half Square Triangles for the Pieced Blocks

The quilt I am making uses a lot of HSTs (half-square triangles.)  There are lots of ways of making these units.  When I started on this quilt, I used a paper foundation called Thangles as I had some in my stash that were the right size.

But this time, I decided to use a ruler and cut them before sewing them. I have The Left-Eze ruler designed by "A Left-Handed Quilter."  - I am not left-handed, but I tested the ruler as a "right handed tester."  So you will see some special stickers on my ruler as an Honorary Leftie.

What I did was take the two 2 1/2"  strips and layer them and iron them together.  There is nothing to hold them, but I find that it helps me to keep them neatly stacked during cutting. Then I put them on the cutting board and use the handy Left-Eze ruler to cut them. They come out layered and ready to sew. 

I confess that sometimes I do cut with my left hand. I am somewhat ambidextrous - but it is limited. 

Once they are sewn there is only one "dog-ear" to cut off.  I cut them before I press the unit open. 

Once they are pressed open they are ready to go into the pieced blocks that look like this:

I find doing the HST units this way to be as easy and maybe a bit faster than using some other methods.  

I have a few more pieced blocks to make before I finish constructing the sections of the quilt. As you may know I am quilting this one in sections and joining them to make a nice big quilt for my bed. But I am taking it slowly and enjoying the process.  

I think I have joined the "slow quilting" movement - at least for a while.  Oh yes,  I have also started another warm fuzzy piece on the loom that I plan to use to make a "house jacket" that I can wear on cold days to avoid turning up the heat. 

Thanks for stopping by. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I agree this method is a bit faster...and your units look good. But all of the rulers confuse me, so stickers are the way to go!

Barbara said...

These blocks are stunning! My favorite fabrics with lovely combinations that I wish were in a quilt for our bed! Honorary Leftie? Wonderful! Is this your own pattern, Gene? I love it so much that I wonder if I could do it. How would I get started? I have batiks, but would need more. Also, not entirely sure what you mean by “quilt as you go”. Ugh, not being creative enough is getting to me, and we need nice new bedding.

Frog Quilter said...

Love the new blocks. I have bin of triangles that will need to be sewn up. Not ready to do that, but soon.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

THANK YOU for the shout-out - you just made my day!! - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene!
I use an easy angle ruler for HST ... except when I don't.
Glad you like the left-handed ruler ... even if you're not a lefty! :-)
Happy Quilting! :-)