Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Quilting a Bit of the Quilt

Since I am quilting the current quilt in pieces, I decided to truly "quilt as I go."  I had two sections of the quilt sewn together.  I decided to quilt at least one of them before I sew the next sections together.  
Why? (you may be wondering)  Because I just wanted to do some free motion quilting.  

To be honest, I am finding it hard to stay focused these days.  One thing that I read was "be kind to yourself."   And saying 'why not?' to this idea seemed like a way to do that and still make some progress. 

Here is a photo showing some of the quilting from the back of the quilt.  I decided to use some solids for at least part of the back.  

The fun part of making the quilt this way is that the back can be several fabrics for a fun giant patchwork effect.  I also plan to join sections "as I go" also.  That eliminates the tedium of doing all the joining at the end.   

Here is a photo from the front side. 

One thing I discovered is that those pieced blocks need  a simpler quilting design, so the second one was just meandered.  The purple section is what I call my "crazy feather."  With the crazy feather you don't worry about making it come out just so..instead you aim for a general feather *idea* but anything goes.  This is supposed to be fun, right?  Right!  For me that crazy feather is just fun.

The temperatures here in the South have taken a sudden drop.  I even saw ice bits in the 'rain.'   I hope the icy coldness doesn't decide to hang around. I prefer it a bit warmer.  I think I will go wrap up in a quilt and read. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Good job...and once it is washed it all will blend and be beautiful!

Barbara said...

Switching things up “as you go” prevents boredom. Numerous different fabrics for the quilt back are “back art” and I always thought never boring. I did that often in my quilt making days and always enjoyed it. Your “crazy feather” is perfect, anything goes always works for me!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Crazy feather - LOVE it!! I'm glad you're being kind to yourself - we are all truly blessed to have a creative outlet with all of the craziness these days - ;))