Friday, August 20, 2021

A bit of Quilting

The fun Gee's Bend class table topper was sitting on my sewing table. So the temptation to do a bit of stitching had me searching the thread box.  There were only two likely candidates for the blue that I wanted. Actually there was a third but it was a 28 weight - just too thick for what I wanted here. 

Unspooling a bit of thread onto the fabric really helps to choose.  It was quickly obvious that the 
darker thread would blend in best.  So the machine and bobbin were threaded with that one. 

As the quilt is ditch quilted -at least to some degree - it was fine to start anywhere.  I started at one edge and did a sure-fire simple (for me) design - Pebbles. 

If I can start with a design I am sure of, it seems to set the "mood" for better free motion quilting. They aren't exactly perfect but they are good enough to make me happy.  

Then, I worked around the corner to do some "ribbon candy" - It didn't come out as nicely but it got that strip quilted and it will look find in the finished piece. 

As I was at the corner of the focus fabric, I decided to do some of it with the same blue. I didn't do a "planned pattern" but decided to use curved lines and fill in the area.  I took a picture but it didn't show well.  Later in the afternoon, I saw the light from the window falling over it and got this one. 

After seeing it in this light, I am considering leaving that orange bit as well as some other areas in the focus fabric un-quilted for some raised texture on this.    The silk batting really makes it flatten where it is heavily quilted, and the pops up where it isn't.

I guess we will wait and see what happens as I go forward with it. 





Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Lovely!!! And my foremost thought when reading “…they aren’t exactly perfect” is that it would not look hand-done if they was perfect. I have little interest in perfect machine-quilting. I can buy a whole quilt of that, any size, at many department stores for about $50. Leaving a few sections unquilted is a good idea!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It's looking VERY good - keep going! - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

You are really doing a good job on the quilting. I think our FMQ is like good wine or whiskey, it needs to age. LOL When you go back and look at it in a few months or years, you will be amazed at how good it looks. I recently looked at a lot of my quilts and was surprised at how good my beginning FMQ was!

Sandra Walker said...

It's really amazing how a piece changes once it's quilted!