Thursday, August 12, 2021

Am I crazy? Maybe!

It has been years and years since I attempted to make clothing for myself.   Ages ago, I had a pattern for a dashiki shirt.   I used that pattern to make several shirts for work.  At that time I worked in a factory and needed something cooler than a T-shirt.  (It was hot on that assembly line!)  The pattern is long gone. And anyway, I am no longer that size since I matured.  (I was a skinny twenty year old. )  
So I decided to take some yardage that I dyed and just go for it.  If it fails,  I have instant scraps for quilting,  right?
I cut two pieces using the back of the scrub top below as my pattern.  I will adapt the front piece into a "dashiki style" neckline.  (If I can remember how!)   
                                            Here is that scrub top that I used as a pattern. 
I haven't decided if I will use the serger.  I am thinking that I will sew the seams first and then use the serger to finish the inside edges.  The neckline was done with a facing in the original dashiki pattern, so I am going to attempt to replicate that part of the design.   If it works well, I may make a couple more.  I think it would be fun in batik.  

Oh yes, I have to sort out placing the pocket - because a guy needs a shirt pocket. At least this guy does.



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.


4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You are not crazy - maybe - LOL. It's been years but I used to sew clothing for myself and my daughter. The shoulder seams on a kid's dress are about an inch long - haha. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished shirt - ;))

kathyinozarks said...

looking good so far I haVen't made my own clothing since high school but making a garment from my handwoven is in my future soon

Pamela Arbour said...

You certainly have a good start. My husband won't wear a shirt that doesn't have a pocket! Good luck.

Barbara said...

I’d love to have that hand dyed piece to work into my crazy quilt in progress.it’s lovely!