Friday, August 27, 2021

Wrapping it Up -Finish!

After finishing all the quilting, it is time to bind the little quilt.   I chose a 2 1/4th inch double fold binding for this one.   After cutting the strips,  I decided to try using a tool to cut the ends for joining. I have this set of Fons and Porter triangle trimmers that I bought and used one time.  

There are other binding trimmers that you can get. I already had this set.  I decided that the blue one would be perfect for cutting the ends of the binding for joining.  The strips were folded so I cut both ends of a strip at once. (FYI - I have NOT tested this with print fabric. I know it works with fabrics where both sides are "good." )   Then I sewed it all onto the quilt and clipped it down. 

I have found that one smaller quilts (i.e. table runners/toppers and smaller) I enjoy sewing the binding to the back by hand.  I tend to work right to left. 
I taught myself to hand stitch it to the back. So I have no idea which is the "normal right handed" direction.  This is what works for me.  Once I get it all stitched, it will be ready for spa day (washing and drying to really pop the texture.) 

Then it was down to just this bit left to sew down. 

I sat down to work and put on a Latino game show on the Roku channel. 
Before long the table topper was all completed.


I think that I mentioned in a previous post that I made this in a quilting workshop with the Gee's Bend quilters.   The fun part is that it is largely scraps and cast off pieces of fabric.  Honestly, I would love to see yardage of my focus fabric.  You see when we arrived in the class, the first day, there was a table piled high with all sorts of fabric. Some pieces were small some were much larger. Interestingly,  the smaller pieces seemed to be the most prized by all the students.   Here is a photo of the table - AFTER- it had been ravaged by 18 or so quilters. 
You can see that in addition to all the fabric on the table, there were boxes, bags and even a plastic bin of more fabric. 

I am linking this post up with Table Scraps on the Joyful Quilter's blog



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

ButterZ said...

I would like to see your rulers at work. How did the cuts work out.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You packed a LOT of quilting and a bundh of scraps into this small piece, Gene. Well done and thank for joining the August 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That turned out really well!! It's fun to do something small occasionally - and a quick finish leaves plenty of time to chase another Squirrel - LOL - ;))

I know what you mean about "normal" direction - I'm surprised sometimes how other Left-Handed quilters do things Left-Handed - their way looks backwards to me. Bottom line - do what works for you - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

I don't recall seeing the back of this quilt when you showed it last. The quilting is beautiful. Thanks for sharing that table of scraps from the Gees Bend quilting group. Now that looks like a quilters' dream! I am sure that bunch had a great time.

Susie H said...

Beautiful mat! I love that large piece in the center too. The day you started this project must have been a wildly, wonderful day! Sounds like so much fun.

Barbara said...

I thought “Gees Bend” before reading your words. Of course, I’ve been following so I knew already, but it's unmistakable. Love it, and the back is awesome! You did hand sewing on a binding?! I have a vague memory that you don’t like doing that. It’s the preferred way and what I’ve always done, but now need to swap methods with you for my king quilt. My hands cannot do hand sewing any longer. 🥴

LA Paylor said...

what a piece of art... the quilting is inventive and adds to it
wish I could dig thru a table of scraps too!LeeAnna (no reply because I can't get it fixed!)

Quilting Gail said...

Lovely topper!!!
I chuckled when I read that your topper will have a spa day!!! I, too, love the look after quilted pieces have had their spa day! :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The table topper turned out great. I also stitch my binding down, right to left, like you do. I'm also self taught. Do what comes naturally.