Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Another Glorious Table Topper

While going through some things, looking for the next project, I found a piece that I made in a class years ago.  The year was 2013 to be precise.  The class was a Gee's Bend quilting class at the Alabama Folk School.  Here is the picture from that time.  The piece is up in the window at the top. 

It needed a bit of pressing.  Then I needed to find batting to use.  There was enough Hobbs silk batting left over from a previous project, so that became the middle layer.  I found a piece of aqua/teal family fabric for the backing - and maybe enough to bind the quilt topper too. 

After it was layered up and spray basted, it went to the machine.  There some ditch quilting and a row of stitches around the outside of the top and it is ready for quilting.  

There are a few slightly puckered areas,  but  that will all quilt out just fine, don't you think?   Now, the BIG Decision....... What color thread(s) to quilt it with? And what quilting patterns?   That one interesting focus print will be the real challenge. I may quilt each shape in that piece separately - although I will not change thread for that piece.  Errr....at least I don't think I will.   I may go with a neutral blue (used for ditch quilting this) or a medium gray for that section. 

I think those white pieces on top and bottom really need a white quilting thread.  Choosing the threads may take some time.  Luckily, I have a decent selection of threads to choose from. 

And because someone is sure to ask,  the piece is 25" by 23"  

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oooh - that is a LOVELY piece! Have fun choosing thread colors and designs - that's almost as much fun as the actual quilting - ;))

Barbara said...

I have always loved the simplicity of Gees Bend Quilts. Did the class reveal how they were quilted, or were they tied? I’m sure your choices for quilting will be beautiful!

Pamela Arbour said...

I say puckers don't matter if it is a Gee's Bend interpretation. I imagine that they had slight puckers since they were working with such a variety of materials. Quilt on!

Quilting Gail said...

What a great table topper! And a great memory of your class!

Puckers? Yup - quilt them out ... or not ...