Sunday, September 26, 2021

Quilting Started

Saturday,  I decided to baste one of the three panels of the quilt.  I got started and before I knew it, I had all three panels basted. Plus, enough ditch quilting was completed to stabilize them nicely.   Ha ha, the muse was stirring, so that wasn't enough.   

Two narrow rows got quilted with FMQ pebbles and lazy eights.  

Could I stop there?  Maybe for a little while, but then I remembered that I had some quilting designs that stitch on the embroidery machine.  I (finally) found my magnetic hoop so that adjusting the quilt in the hoop would be much easier.  I found a design that pleased me and did some adjusting on it in my embroidery software.  FYI, that means resizing mostly. There is a limit to what you can do with an existing stitch file. 

Then I took the panel to the embroidery machine and got it going.  It required four hoopings to go across the width of the panel.  Here are two of them in the hand-dyed section of that row.

I don't love the way it looks at the "start/stop" area of the design but it will probably "disappear" in the grand scheme of the quilt.  I will need to do just a bit of FMQ to fill up the areas between the sides you see and the next designs.  The size wasn't perfect for it even after I adjusted it. 

There is quite a bit of quilting to go.  I suspect there will be some FMQ and some embroidered quilting.  When I get a full panel quilted, I will post a photo.  

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That's REALLY nice! I had to look twice to find the start/stop area - and agree that it won't matter in the grand scheme of things - but you could add a little FMQ here and there when you fill in the sides - if you think it needs to be "disguised" - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

That's looking really good. That's a good idea to quilt in between and/or around the stars. With that thought in mind, you can fill the area with anything keeping in mind that you will be doing something around it. I think you have something there, Gene.

Barbara said...

Love the light thread on dark fabric!

Quilting Gail said...

You are influencing me to try using my embroidery machine for quilting! Yours looks so good!
I haven't tried it yet ... except for a mug rug or pouch that fits in the hoop ...