Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Secret Revealed

This is the second post about my challenge.  The first post is Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks. First off, I have to say that there were lots of good guesses!   But only one person nailed the answer.  Let's give a big round of applause to Leslie at The Crafty Unicorn Quilting.
Both quilts are designed with blocks that are indeed Card Trick.  One of them is set "on point."  That would be the top one.  The second is simply Card Trick colored differently.  I exported the pictures from EQ without the lines to make it a real challenge.  I confess that I could not have figured this out at all had I been in your position.

I saw an episode of The Quilt Show with Paula Nadelstern,  She had a puzzle quilt in which each block had a matching block in it. (similar to this challenge) That just got my imagination churning.   I sat at the computer and fired up EQ7 and had a go at it.
The word "trick" in the title of the post was a clue but I don't know if that helped Leslie or not.

Here is Card Trick on point with a more traditional coloration:

And here is Card Trick with a horizontal setting and a traditional coloration:
So you see, simply changing the colors around can make the block appear completely different.
Thanks to everyone who played along.  You made it really fun for me and I hope you stretched your mind  a wee bit.  Mental puzzles have been proven to help keep the brain more active and "younger."

I haven't taken a picture but I won some wonderful vintage sheet fat quarters from Debi at Quilting With Debi.   Thanks Debi,  they are wonderful and will go in a project soon.

I also want to let you know that I will one stop on a blog hop that starts April 2 and runs through April 5.  I have added the blog badge on my left sidebar.

7 comments:

Snoodles said...

Ya stumped me! Heehee! That is amazing, how different it can look with different colors!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Ah. I was over-simplifying with my guess. I can see them now. Fun! Thanks Gene!

Unknown said...

You had me at a stump and it looks wonderful....

Unknown said...

HI Gene I just wanted to say thanks for the bias binding tutorial....it helped me allot.....appreciate ya

Unknown said...

very cool, I wouldn't have gotten that.

Barbara said...

NOW(!) I know why I didn't have a clue about this, it's the CARD TRICK block! Truth is I've *never* been able to do this block well enough. I've tried numerous times but with no success. I don't know why, but it has been forever banished from my consciousness. My mental block would never allow me to recognize it, LOL! Thanks for the fun, Gene.

Leslie said...

It was a puzzle Gene, and I hate to give up on a puzzle. I actually re-drew the blocks in EQ to find the answer. It was a great exercise. Thanks.