Sunday, March 18, 2012

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Playing in Electric Quilt 7 allowed me to test something.  Can you teach an "old dog" new tricks?  Yes indeed you can.  I am going to show you two digital quilt designs.   For each one, I want you to tell me what traditional block design I used.  There is only ONE block design used in each quilt.  Are you up for the challenge?
Okay then, let's play
Quilt Number One:
Okay then, How about Quilt Number Two:

You may notice that each one has an hourglass section in it.  So, for the third question:  excluding the hourglass part, what is the BIG thing these quilts have in common?

I will give you a couple of clues.  Clue one: There is a trick to this.  Clue two: I got this idea from an episode of The Quilt Show (the 300 series if you need to "cheat" and go look- ha ha)

The prize is one that you can all win.  A workout for your brain AND a special "realization" that  you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Oh yes... I am "moderating" comments for a while so no-one tries to "cheat" - So I deleted Billie's since it got  in there before I started moderating.

17 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Okay Card Trick and Square in a Square...........???

Are you talking about the episode on puzzle quilts??

Barbara said...

Yikes, I'm really bad at this. No clue, but they are both really nice!

Rhonda said...

I am really bad at seeing a design but I do love both designs. Good luck to those you guess correctly!!

Barb said...

You are way too funny!!! Love love the second one!

Diane Wagner said...

I see that both quilts consist of a single nine patch block. Both quilts have a flying geese unit with a rectangle as a common patch. Very interesting challenge.

Leslie said...

The first one looks like card trick (or winning hands) and the second is a friendship star I think. Both quilts look like they are set on point. Is that the big thing they have in common?

Leslie said...

Got it! The trick is that BOTH quilts are Card trick, the first one is on point the second one is horizontal set with a 90 degree rotation on alternate blocks. Ya just gotta love EQ.

Samantha said...

I haven't got a clue. Maybe a Card Trick block?

Paul said...

I'm stumped on the first one.

The second one appears to have elements of a churn dash square that's been assembled, quartered, and rearranged (almost like a disappearing nine-patch).

Can't wait to see the answers...

Paul
www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

sewfunquilts said...

Gosh, Gene..you might have stumped this old gal...but maybe it is just color placement and you rotate the block?

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Looks like maybe Half Square Triangles?

emmy said...

I would venture to say they have the flying geese block in common.

Snoodles said...

Good gravy, I have pored over this....I keep thinking I have it figured out. Once I was zeroing in on the chisel shapes, and once on the pieces that looked like flying geese! Then my eyes would get pulled away to another spot on the quilt.
Wait a minute! I know what they have in common! That lovely rich blue is on both! Heehee!

Unknown said...

There is NO way I could figure that out! Since I'm so new to quilting I haven't seen enough quilt blocks in my "quilting life" to even guess! You'll just have to tell me! :)

Unknown said...

I have no idea, but I love the designs.

Leah said...

No clue... great designs!