Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Double Joy

Sometimes those you love give you a present that makes your heart sing.  I have a birthday coming up in a couple of days; so my Nana sent a present.  I had no idea what she would send but she always finds something that she knows I will enjoy.
There is a LONG story behind this one.  Here is what I found inside the box:
Yes, it is a book on Abstract Art. But, it isn't just any book on abstract art, oh no!  You see this book was written by the teacher of the very first art workshop I ever took.  The Nana had taken classes from her before and knew she was a good teacher.  So she convinced me to go to the workshop.  It was amazing!  I learned lots about color theory, design theory, and lots more.  I also learned a lot of techniques for painting.  I loved the class and I painted this painting in the class:
Even though it is abstract, I see a "picture" in it. I see a community of birds on branch.  Thus the name "Community" This piece hangs in my living room. I love it as much today as I did the day I painted it. (the color is off a bit in this picture as it is not as green as this appears.) 

In the class,  the teacher and author, Joan (pronounced like JoAnn) kept misplacing things. She would say "where did I put ____"  I was always watching intently and trying to remember every detail, so I knew where she put it and would say "look ---where ever---"  She told me I needed to be in all her classes and be her assistant. Ha ha. 
The special surprise in this book was the autograph AND the little extra sticky note. 

Now, the workshop was years ago - well prior to the start of my blog in 2006. Maybe so long ago that the year started with a 19 and not a 20 (I really am not sure!)  But, if you can read the note, she still remembers me fondly!  Needless to say, I am still smiling and will probably always smile when I see this. The sticky note will be in the book until it falls out and I lose it. (or I may glue it in!)

I know I will enjoy reading this book - and who know what it will inspire!
(Thanks Nana, I love you.)


13 comments:

Vicki W said...

That is so cool!

Marguerita McManus said...

I just love the story, the present and most of all, that you and your Nana have such a wonderful relationship :)

MoeWest said...

Thoughtful gifts are the best kind! Have a wonderful birthday, you're off to a great start!

Teresa Quilts said...

Gene, that is a precious story! I am so glad you still have your Nana. Very thoughtful gift.

sewyouquilt2 said...

what a great gift! happy birthday! it is nice to know when someone remembers us for something we think was minute or obscure. How we touch others lives is amazing.

Debbie said...

Great story--and art!---to make your day special.

Barb said...

What a thought out gift....enjoy your book and your B day.

Yes, I see the birds...I love it!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

That is WONDERFUL! I'm happy for you Gene.

Smiles,
Kelly

Rhonda said...

It is a precious gift from you Nana & a great memory shared.

Barbara said...

A Nana knows what will bring joy! (From another Nana :)

Beth said...

Happy Birthday!!! What a great gift and the note is so cute! You could get one of those clear encelopes and put the note in it and glue it to the book. You sure never want to lose it.

Vesuviusmama said...

What a special gift!

Quiltedtime said...

What a sweet story!!!