Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I got the Top Down and a Bird on the Wing

After that title I am sure you are wondering if I have lost my mind. Ha ha... As a friend of mine says "I never claimed to be sane."
Seriously though, I did finish a quilt top this evening (Tuesday.)  This is the other Beginner's Quilt Along quilt that I am making.  I did this one in bright colors with a light sashing. The majority of the sashing is a white with tiny light blue pin dots on it.  Of course I ran low on that fabric, so I did some creative planning on the layout.

I also was trying to balance the color scheme and realized that I had a block that wasn't in the quilt along. Ha ha.  the lower right block (behind the edge of the table) is one that I made with some extra thangles pieced hsts. I just made it up as I pieced it.  There are two more blocks that will go on the backing of this quilt, but they didn't have the blue edges that I wanted in it.
I have the center seam just basted as I will quilt this in two pieces and then join it, but I wanted a full top to show.  The other BQA top has several embroidered blocks.  This one only has one - second row-middle block. The heart is embroidered on it.

Now how about the bird on the wing?  I just wanted to try a new product so I embroidered this piece on a plain piece of fabric.

I have no idea what this will be used in, but I always manage to use my odd pieces at one time or another.  I do love the hummingbird design and although this was a "redwork" design, I changed it to "blue work" due to the background fabric.

Tomorrow I hope to do an update on the Quilt  Angel Project - we have another prize that has been offered ever so generously.  (If I don't post about it tomorrow, I will get it before the end of the week.)

Has your sewing machine been humming lately?  Mine hasn't gotten the attention I would love to give it, but I do sneak in a few stitches any chance I get.


9 comments:

Melissa said...

I love your quilt top! It is so bright and cheerful - beautiful!

Barbara said...

Your quilt tops are always so interesting, never symmetrical or boring. It's a huge plus because every time I look I see something I missed before!

Petit Design Co. said...

it looks great!

Jodi said...

I like your improv due to running out of the sashing fabric. I, on the other hand, cut my sashing 1/2" too short so now I have to come with an alternate plan, also! Arghgh. Here's hoping mine comes out as nicely as yours, Gene!

Beth said...

Nice BQA top. The colors are really bright and happy.
I love the hummingbird. I change redwork to othere colors too. (I guess that would be just embroidery then) LOL.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

What a happy looking quilt. Love the colors! Your humming bird is beautiful.

Cyndi said...

I love your quilt top, Gene...it is bright and happy and fun! The hummingbird is very nice, too! And to answer your question, no, my sewing machine has not been humming for quite some time now. Too many other things going on that are keeping me away from sewing. But I hope that changes soon!

Have a great day, my friend!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Barb said...

I love the bird....

Your quilt is so fun!

Mike Pearson said...

Mine could use a bit more humming :)