Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hand Stitching

I promised that I would be showing the progress on the art piece I am working on. I started this piece as part of a class I am taking on Craftsy.  The class is called Stupendous Stitching.  You can learn more about by clicking on the link.
I have not been doing a lot of work on this lately, but today I got some stitches in due to the rain and no morning walk.
So here are some detail shots.
In this shot you can see some French knots, some simple Xs and some sheaf stitches. 
There is one section of the couched "knot" that I have not filled yet.  I am still waiting for the right stitch to pop into my head. 

This is what I call a weaving stitch.  I do a running stitch and then go back with another thread and weave it in and out through the running stitches. 

Finally a wider shot although this is not the entire piece.
The fabric is some that I hand dyed and the added spatters with liquid acrylic paints.
I used marbles to create a resist that left the round shapes with starbursts in them.
I have to say I like the visual texture that I achieved by hand dying and spattering this fabric.

8 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

that looks like fun! I like it so far....

Jodi said...

Ahh, that looks so pretty, Gene. Thanks for the email yesterday - hugs!

bellefrogworks said...

Wow - that looks beautiful - would love to see it when you complete it.

Teresa Quilts said...

Beautiful!

Jackie said...

Oh this is going to be sooo good!

Barb said...

This is fabulous Gene...just fabulous!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful stitches on your neat hand dyed fabric!

Marjorie said...

You do beautiful work. Can't wait to see it done.