Sunday, June 02, 2013

A lovely visit AND a start

Saturday was a delightful day. I had the joy of meeting up with another blogger.  Sue and her bloke are visiting the USA for a bit and came through part of Alabama.  Sue blogs at Charlotte's Cottage. I have been reading her blog for quite a while, so long that I don't remember how I found her. Ha ha.  The first I really remember is a delightful post she did on making a scarf, but she wrote it as a fairy story.  It was very nice and it stayed in my memory.  I suppose I realized I had found a truly creative soul.
But, onward to the more recent past.  For our meeting, we chose to have lunch.  Since Sue and the bloke had never been to a Cracker Barrel -and they were interested in local food, we decided that would be a great choice.
Since they had salads, we asked for an order of cornbread so they could try it. Our sweet waitress also brought some apple butter with the cornbread. Mmmm good stuff.
No trip to Cracker Barrel is complete with out looking in the gift shop.
 Are you surprised that a quilter looked at the quilts that were hanging there? No, I didn't think so. Sadly these are made in China.
Sues' bloke found a DVD set he would have liked to have, but  as Australia uses a different DVD region encoding, we were afraid it would not work when he got it home.
And I thought I was the only one who remembered F Troop fondly!

And of course we had to have a picture in the rocking chairs on the front porch.
Now,  for the rest of the day, I started working on a quilt top.  I had cut the pieces Friday night.  So I got to sewing right away.

The full quilt will be seven rows, so this is three-seventh's of a  quilt top.  My plan is to make it in two sections. One will be this row of three and the other will be a row of four. I find it much easier to manipulate that way. I simply don't have space for putting two or three tables together to hold a full quilt adequately.
I have to say that I am loving this quilt already.  I may make it again using patterned fabrics for the color parts.  But for the free motion class near solids and solids were important. I won't be distracted by the patterns in the fabric.


10 comments:

Barb said...

What a fun day, it is always nice to meet blogger friends in person.

Marjorie said...

How nice to meet an 'efriend'. I remember our visit and how much I enjoyed sharing a leg of the plane trip home with you. Ted and I love Cracker Barrel--that is our first choice when we are traveling. Your quilt is coming along.

Barbara said...

Gonna like this one. It's SO Gene!

Barbara Arcement said...

I am so happy that Sue and Joe were able to get to Alabama safely. Driving on the right side of the road was an adventure I'm sure. We had mentioned Cracker Barrel to them so I am glad they got an opportunity to eat there. They are such a sweet couple.
Your quilt is so nice...can't wait to see it complete.
hugs
beebee

Pat said...

You know I understand what fun it is to meet fellow quilters/bloggers!!! I'm glad you had a nice visit but sorry her hubby couldn't get that DVD set he wanted. :( Nice quilt you are making, too. I do wish you lived near enough to talk me through the method you use for doing quilting in smaller sections and then joining them together. I've read about it but still can't wrap my head around it.

Sue said...

Gene, we enjoyed our time with you and I did love Cracker Barrel, the food and store we're so much fun. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Teresa Quilts said...

Gene, how awesome is that to meet an Aussie blogging friend! I love love love that quilt you are making! It is going to be awesome!

Royce said...

Gene that was so nice to get to meet a fellow blogger face to face. I too remember F Troop. I really like your current quilt top it should be fun to quilt. Looking forward to seeing the whole quilt - really like the black and bright colors.

Jean(ie) said...

I love meeting bloggers. So much fun. I miss those CB rocking chairs!

That top is going to be fun to quilt. I can't wait to see it done!

Tangos Treasures said...

How cool you got to meet a blogger!! Love the quilt!!