Sunday, June 16, 2013

Back Again

When I started to layer the other "half" of  my class quilt, I realized that one strip of the backing had a problem.  It reminded me of a Beauty Queen sitting on a float it in the Christmas parade!  Why you ask?  Well it was waving at everything!  I confess- I did not pin it on I just grabbed both pieces and started sewing.  Arrgh! Being lazy does not pay in the long run. It would probably have looked okay quilted, but there is that possibility of nasty tucks in the backing.  So I chopped it off (rotary cutter to the rescue) rather than trying to rip out that long seam.  I replace the fabric with a different blue and ironed them; then pinned them together. Those of you who know me well, know that I am NOT a pinner. But to make it come out right this time, I felt it was necessary.

Now, to sew it!


Ahhh Yes!
The tan is truer in this top picture. 
The blue is truer to color in this bottom picture. 
See how nice and straight that seam is.  No waves here! Now it can be layered for quilting.

5 comments:

Marjorie said...

I always cut off my seams instead of ripping too. Soooo much easier.

Barbara said...

Of course(!) the colors are more true in the most colorful photos. It would not be a GB Original otherwise. Great rescuing, I love the cutting instead of ripping technique. So obvious I never saw it!

Pat said...

I'm glad you got it smooth enough. It would have driven you crazy otherwise!

Barb said...

I do not pin either but....when I was doing the sausage for one of my pillowcases....it just wouldn't turn out right...so...I pinned...I guess there is no shame in that. Looks great!

Beth said...

Waving quilts call for drastic meaasures. Pins to the rescue. The seam looks perfect now.