Saturday, June 08, 2013

Finally BACK at it

The title of this post is has a double meaning. In fact it is a bit of a pun. (sorry.) What it means is that I am working on a backing for my class quilt.
I have sewn the borders on the other half (really 4 sevenths) of the quilt.
A bit of piecing with both large and small pieces of fabric created the backing for the first part.
Those neutrals almost get lost on this carpet!
You may see a bit of a theme from the front of the quilt. I decided to carry some of the color scheme from the front to the back.  I did not duplicate the actual design but sort of echoed it.  You may notice a bit of variance though.
The backing is larger than the front. to allow for shrinkage during quilting.
You can see how it extends beyond the front.  That right edge is a bit scary - the batting comes just to the edge of the quilt top.  I will have to be careful there! I am thinking maybe machine basting that edge.

I used a fusible batting for this and I am not overly thrilled with the application process. There were virtually no instructions on the package, so I took to the web and found some. This is the one that I read. I knew that I did not have a table that big nor one that I can iron on. Arrgh.  So I put it together in the floor and hand pressed it. I carried it to the ironing board and pressed - and pressed - and pressed.  Sigh! then I realized that some of the top extended past some of the backing .  Arrgh! I gently peeled off the backing and reapplied it. Back to the ironing board where I pressed - and pressed - and pressed some more. That is why I am not re-positioning the top for that one little edge.  I think my hairspray method - which I also press after doing also - works better and is generally cheaper.  But I did get a bargain on this fusible batting, so I decided to try it.
Have you tried fusible batting?  Did you love it?  like it?  hate it?  I am curious at how others feel about it.
I can see using it for smaller projects. So after this quilt, unless it quilts out amazingly well, the rest of this queen size bat will be reserved for small projects.

10 comments:

Barb said...

It is a lovely quilt...but I do understand your reasoning.

Barbara said...

Have not tried fusible batting, but bought a pattern that calls for it. I may just use hairspray instead. Love this colorful GB exclusive!

Royce said...

Gene I tried the fusible batting one time and thou it's not bad I didn't think it great enough to purchase again. I had similar problems but it will lift apart well and go right back together. One of my quilting buds uses a quilter spray bast of some sort that she loves and has gone to using that exclusively. I'm still pinning for now.

Quiltgal said...

I have only used fusible batting once and it was on a small wall hanging. I don't think I would try it on anything larger.

~Laurie~ said...

I love a pun!! Glad you're backing yourself up to it!!
I've never tried a fusible batting and don't think I ever will. Who really has that big of an area to iron on without going crazy? It sounds like a good idea, but it doesn't sound fusible, I mean feasible!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks great!!!

Vicki W said...

I have used fusible batting but I'm not a huge fan. Since I buy regular batting on a roll I usually just use bits of Mistyfuse when I want to fuse a batting. I will give your hairspray method a try. That sounds like a great solution.

Margie said...

Love all the bright colors in your quilt. This is the first time I've heard of using hair spray. Thinking maybe I need to try it. Used fusible on a small project just once. Wasn't happy at all with it!

Sue said...

Good on you for trying that batting. I love this quilt, hope it goes well for you.

Sue said...

Good on you for trying that batting. I love this quilt, hope it goes well for you.