Saturday, June 29, 2013

Quilting Phase Finished

The Free Motion quilting on my class quilt it completed!  This is the quilt I have been working on for the Leah Day Free Motion Fillers Vol. 1 class on Craftsy.  
The quilt is in two pieces, because it is easier for me to quilt in that manner. I will join it with the method I use for Quilt As You Go.  But here are the two pieces aligned and laying on my bed.
That is the front side. But wait until you see the back.  I LOVE the back of this quilt as much as the front.

The back shows far more of the texture and design than is readily visible on the front.  Here are some close ups showing more of the texture and stitching.


I confess that I didn't follow directions well.  Leah Day said that we should not use variegated thread as it tends to have diameter changes where it changes color which can cause thread breaks.  But it was what I wanted to use so I used it.  I didn't have any problem with thread breaks.  Instead the problem I had was running out of bobbin thread. Ha ha! I used a lot of bobbins on this one.  Even thought the quilt is not "officially" finished I am linking this up with Richard and Tanya Quilts - Link a Finish Friday.  After all, I finished the quilting and that was a major finish for me.  I am thinking that this quilt will go in the gallery if Main Street Gallery has room when it is fully finished.

13 comments:

Vicki W said...

You took great advantage of that class! You learned a lot and have a fun quilt also.

Barb said...

Looks fantastic and you are right, the back is wonderful!

marilyn said...

your quilting looks fantastic! You should be really proud of that quilt!

Sue said...

Wow Gene. The finished quilting looks fabulous. Great job.

Royce said...

You did a WOW job on the quilting. Love the different patterns you used. I've never quilted with the variegated thread I thought it might be hard to follow your design with the colors changing but I see now that the quilting pattern shows up very well.

Barbara said...

Fabulous!! I like the back too for it showcases the FMQ so well. And what is this confessing about? You never like following directions. Same as me. ;)

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Wow! That variegated thread really adds to the quilt, glad you gave it a try. Your quilting has gotten better with every post. I can see a long arm in your future.

Barbara said...

Great quilt. You did a good job. I too like Leah and follow her blog.

Unknown said...

Gene the quilt is wonderful and great job on the stitching. I also like the back allot because you can see your quilting. I am about to try QAYG for the first time..we will see how it turns out.

Teresa Quilts said...

Your quilt looks great! I know you are proud of that one. Great job, Gene!

VickiT said...

Great job and LOVE the colors.

Beth said...

I am standing and cheering. The FMQ looks awesome. Front and back. You should be so proud!!!

Mary said...

Congratulations on the finish and the great work!