Monday, June 03, 2013

Unmolded!

Today I popped the soap out of the molds.  Then I sliced it into bars -which is super easy with the bar trays as I cut on the lines.  It is stacked on a wooden rack that I found somewhere. I have no idea what it was really made for.

There are twenty-four bars of delightful smelling soap.  (I need to remember that fragrance blend. good think it is in a blog post!)  Now it takes 3 to 4 weeks to cure.  Then it is ready to use.  You may notice some imperfections on the surface of some of the bars.  Apparently this batch is a bit soft.  Next time I plan to add some ingredients to make a harder bar of soap.
Now if you are interested in reading an in depth tutorial on making soap, there is another quilter, Vicki Welsh who has written one.  It is in two parts - Part One  and Part Two.  Vicki mentions the Majestic Mountain Sage website and the lye calculator.  This is the lye calculator I have used since I started making soap and it works well for me.  My molds that you saw in the previous post on making soap came from them. They are the Rectangle Bar Tray molds.   There are similar tray molds with designs or words (handmade, etc.) on them, but I find that just makes it more difficult to get the soap out of the mold.
Oh yes, Vicki also hand dyes some wonderful fabric - if you need WANT some hand dyed fabric.


In quilty news,  the top for my quilt that I started Friday night is nearly finished.  The other "half" still needs borders but other than that it is done.  Now I can start quilting along with Leah Day in the class I am taking on Craftsy.

9 comments:

Sue said...

Wow, that soap looks fabulous.......soon you'll be completely self sufficient!

Katrina said...

Awesome Gene! I used to have a business where I made soaps and creams and bath products but I gave it up when the business became inundated with the melt and pour type of soap but I still make it for my family and I. I love handmade soap from scratch! Well done!

Jean(ie) said...

I didn't know that soap had to cure... (Of course upon writing this I thought, well, maybe it's to get out excess moisture --duh!).

Cool! Good ole lye soap. Can't beat that.

Rhonda said...

Gene, this is fantastic. I really need to try making my own soap. Now you've gone and given me another something to try....sigh...where will I find the time??? ;-]

Margie said...

Woops, you just reminded me to go check my soap I made about 5 weeks ago. I don't have the reg. soap molds but use those rubber like baking dishes. I just make it for us so it doesn't matter. Usually make several batches a year. Have been picking my lavender to dry so I can use it in a batch! Am off to check out the site you mentioned. Always fun to read up on this stuff, I always learn something new!

Beth said...

The bars look so pretty just sitting on the rack. I did not know that soap had to cure. You always have such great info to share.

Barbara said...

Homemade soap...a luxury!

Sara said...

Love the stack of soaps. Homemade soap always makes me feel special as we should all be treating ourselves to some luxurious soaps;)

limpingalong said...

Good job on the soap. I have some that was given to me scented with cinnamon -- I love to smell it!

Have you ever read a blog by Dijanne Cevaal? Her blog is called "Musings of a Textile Itinerant" and it reminded me of you. You may enjoy her work.