Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Loom update-silly me

My loom arrived Wednesday after I returned from a long day of work that included a a trip to Montgomery.  When I got home I was already tired.  But I was excited about the loom. I planned to open it up, string it with warp threads and start weaving.   Silly me!

 The box was my first surprise.  "Hey, it is not very big"  Oh, I thought, it must be folded. Ha.  Silly me.  Can you say assembly required?  Yeah, great.  Ha ha.

I opened the box and saw lots of pieces wrapped neatly in brown paper. I started unwrapping. (It is a shame I didn't take pictures - chalk that up to being tired.)  There was also a stapled set of instructions. The good news is that they were well written.  Several times I when "Huh?" but then kept reading and my question was answered.   Seriously, there were not two single pieces of work already joined except for the heddle.

 I did get it together.  I even added the warping cords that hold warp threads. (if you weave and I got the terms wrong-tell me or just pretend you know what I am talking about.)
I did take pictures after it was together.
 This is the heddle. - There are slots and holes. A warp thread goes through the hole and one through the slot for each set. This is what allows you to weave quickly as the heddle moves the warp up and down. (Trust me on this.  I will show you later - as in another day.)
Here is the heddle along with the shuttles  which hold your weft threads.  That stick in the back just in front of the heddle is a "pick up stick."  It is a tool for doing patterns in your weaving.
In the plastic bag are warping pegs, since this loom can also be used as a warping board. There is also a heddle threading hook and a warping helper.
And here is the loom put together just waiting to be warped. Then the weaving can begin. But, I am writing this on Wednesday night after a long day, now I want to go to bed! The weaving will wait a day or two.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

16 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow! I am so glad you are doing this (instead of me), lol! I am overwhelmed just reading your post with strange words. But I know it's a learning curve you will master, and I look forward to the results. So, am I going out to buy a loom? Well, I think it's very pretty, but probably not yet, especially after reading your post. ;) I will admit, I'm duly impressed you put it together already, and at the end of a long day!

Vicki W said...

I know what you will be doing this weekend!

Sue said...

Heddles, warping and wefts leave me muddled, twitching and ditzy........I'll wait to watch your creations come by Gene with much excitement!

Betsy said...

I am looking forward to seeing how tha is done. I have always wanted this type of loom but am scared to venture into it since they are not cheap. Can you use fabric or strictly yarns?

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

There were a lot of words I didn't understand but I'm so happy you got your loom! I look forward to hearing all about your first creation :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your loom looks pretty good Gene....I would have hated to put it all together.....looks like lots of pieces!

Rhonda said...

Oh wonderful Gene....can't wait to see what you create. I'm sure it will be a work of art!!

Average Quilter said...

Have you ever done this before or is it just something you've always wanted to do. I wish you luck and with your talent I know you will do good

~Laurie~ said...

We'll have to go on a learning trip together with this loom. Didn't know any of the terms you used = but I'm sure we will learn as you show us your progress. I'm excited for you and can't wait to see your first creation. I know it probably won't be perfect, but it will be cool to see your progress. Maybe someday you'll inspire me to get my own loom!

Marie said...

I am very excited about your loom, weaving is interesting to me, I watched a lot of it being done while living in Ohio and now wish I had gotten involved in it. Can't wait to see what you do, thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marie

Barbara Arcement said...

You are going to love weaving. I like to make rugs using recycled t-shirts. simple and easy fun! can't wait to see your first complete project.

KatieQ said...

I can't wait to see what you make.

Kathleen said...

I give you a lot of credit. This would be the kind of thing I would look at for a while, in pieces, just working up the courage to assemble it. Then I would continue looking at it assembled, just working up the nerve to thread it!! I'm guessing we will be seeing a video sometime soon :)

Barb said...

HAPPPY looming!!!

Beth said...

It looks beautiful!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Gene
I have been following your weaving adventures and have looked into a Kromski loom. Did you buy the 24" loom and can you tell me where you purchased it. I thought you might have a dealer preference.
Thanks