Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Quilted? Notebook Cover

Have you ever made the same project so many times that you just KNOW how to do it?  I know I have made so many of these quilted notebook covers that I should be able to do it in my sleep.  Ha!

After a weekend of no sewing, and one Monday evening of quilting even more on the current quilt, I thought "A little easy project is in order!"  So I decided to make another quilted notebook cover.  I had some string block made from a jelly roll.   Actually I had made a "jelly roll race" top. When it was done I didn't like so I cut it into squares, on a bias.  I also sewed the partial pieces that were left into blocks.  They have been sitting for some time.  I grabbed a couple of those and proceeded to use them in this project. I cut all the parts and started sewing it together.
OOPS!
What was I thinking?  Apparently not much.  I had the seams almost all sewn when it occurred to me,  "you were supposed to quilt the front layer with the batting before you sew it together."  (okay, I may have added the word "moron" in there too.)  I really didn't want to rip out all those tight stitches.  So I just proceeded to finish it.  
Then a lightbulb went off "Why not quilt it, now?"  Fortunately I didn't quilt over the flaps because I did actually have a lucid thought about that.  (yaay me!) 
So here it is: Front, back and opened out. 


For such a "disaster" in the process, I think it came out pretty good. 
Yes, I make mistakes.  They are a part of the creative process.  I try to make the best of them and I am able to laugh at my own mistakes.  Learning to do that is one of the best gifts I have ever given myself.
How much interest is there in how to make these covers?  Should I do a tutorial or a video or maybe both?
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

12 comments:

Lindabee said...

The PBS painter, Bob Ross, used to call them "happy accidents". Your cover is beautiful.

Unknown said...

I've done things like this as well. It's always the simple things that turn out NOT so simple. But, always something learned. Thanks for posting your photo. I like how you used those colors.

Snoodles said...

Oh, you don't want to know the number of times a similar thing has happened here....LOL
Love your notebook covers, and a tutorial would be great!

Unknown said...

Oh, it's great! A design opportunity!

Holee said...

Look's good Gene and I love anything with words on it. Did you see Leah's pearled feather design....It might be my favorite! Making the pearl gives you a chance to stop and look at where you've been and where you are going. Makes or a much smoother feather. Got my table. It will be great for traveling but there is nothing like solid wood. I find it a little jumpy when I run the machine fast.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like your cover, very colorful! And a tute would be great, especially if you show how you quilted it after putting it together...

Barbara said...

Lol, Gene! I have done the same thing, haven't we all?! The most recent comes to mind. With making dolls, vessels, knitting and beading so much, it had been a long time since I had made a quilt or wall hanging, so I took one on. It went well until I cut the backing and batting. I totally forgot to cut it large enough to accommodate a border I had planned! I found a way out of my dilemma, but I couldn't believe I had forgotten to do something I've known how to do blindfolded for a couple decades. ;) Thanks for the entertaining post!

Vicki W said...

Don't you feel like you've won a prize when you catch yourself before making a big mistake? I always feel like I've just won some free time! Great project! Of course you should do a tutorial.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I think your "mistake" turned out beautifully. I would love a tutorial on the notebook covers!

Tangos Treasures said...

LOVE IT!!

Beth said...

Your 'mistake' turned out great. I think a tutorial would be great. The covers sure would make great gifts.

Lorraine said...

A quilted book cover. What a great idea and just in time for back to school. It makes a great place to rest your head when you get sleepy in class. :P (just kidding)