Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Figs are producing

Those of you who have been following me for some time may know that my mother has a huge fig tree.   A couple of years ago, the tree was so full of figs that I had to do something to save them.  So I looked around and found a recipe for making preserves.  This is an old recipe that uses jello to make faux strawberry preserves.  
Now you know that I like  VARIETY! Yes, I confess.  So I decided to play with the recipe.  I started changing the strawberry jello for other flavors.  I have made:

  • strawberry (to get started) 
  • orange spice
  • grape
  • raspberry
  • spiced peach
  • lemon ginger
  • pineapple
The pineapple is new this year. I have only had a small sample from the leftover.  I doubt I will keep it in the date rotation that I try to use them in. (why, because it is yummy!)   I currently have a couple of jars from 2011 left, a nice stash of the 2012 crop and now I am building the 2013 stash.  
Our figs look something like this picture I found.
The tops generally stay green until it is too late! Either the birds and bugs get them or they start fermenting right on the tree.  I truly meant to take a picture of my bag of figs...I thought of it again as I was cutting up the last couple of them.  (sigh) Sometimes I get to excited about what I am doing to get pictures. 
I have my jars filled from this evening's adventure.  I made a batch of spiced peach since we love that one a lot.   I use peach jello and add ground cloves, cinnamon and a bit of allspice to spice them up a bit.  

Here is the basic recipe  -
Faux Strawberry Fig Preserves/Jam

3 c. fresh, peeled figs mashed slightly (I didn't peel or mash to start with...just washed and quartered) 
2 c. sugar 
2 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello 
1/2 c. water
1/2 slice lemon (okay I usually just ream out a lime into the pot) 
5 - 7 (8 oz.) jars

Mix all ingredients in large pot. As it starts to cook I use my stick blender to puree the figs.  Cook on high heat until mixture comes to rolling boil. Cook on medium heat 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Pour into sterilized hot jars and waterbath  for 15 minutes. 

Play with the flavor of jello and maybe add some spices to bring up the flavor.

Here are my jars -I am listening for that sweet POP that says they have sealed.  If a jar doesn't seal, put it in the freezer until you need it OR put it in the refrigerator and enjoy the fruits of your labor. 
I turn mine upside down as I read that they seal better that way.  I also put them on a beach towel and cover them with another towel. Yes it is probably "overkill" but it makes me feel better. 



Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gene this is awesome. There are not too many people that can as much any more. I love to can peaches and jams and apple butter. But have never even tasted a fig now that is just not right. So I will make it a point to try one...thanks for the tip on turning them upside down, I would assume that this is for all canning....

Holee said...

How lucky to have a fig tree! You can also make Italian fig cookies and freeze them. They are a Thanksgiving and Christmas treat in my house. I freeze them on a tray and then seal them with my air tight sealer. Just defrost them on a wire rack and icing them..yum Yours look wonderful and I bet I'd love the pineapple!

Rhonda said...

Figs.....love em! Your canning looks great. Thanks for adding the recipes. I'll have to try them out. I didn't get to can any figs this year....don't know what happened.

Tangos Treasures said...

LOOKS YUMMY!!!

Susan said...

Mmm...homemade jam! I always turn mine upside down on a towel too...I guess because that's how my grandma did it!

Barbara said...

I'm sure this tastes wonderful!

sewyouquilt2 said...

looks great. we used to collect our figs in an egg carton every day and with the 5 of us kids, we often ate them before mom had enough to make jam. she did make some jam though and it was delish! never thought to mix the flavors. sounds like a keeper recipe!

Snoodles said...

Wow, this looks like a fabulous recipe! I don't usually like the plain ole fig preserves, but this is one that I want to try! Hmmm, wonder if the figs are ready here? LOL

Pat said...

I am one who has never tasted a fig (other than the filling in fig newtons). Our friend has a tree loaded with them and they are picking them now, so I hope to get to try one in the next couple of days!