Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Auditions

To pick the sashing for the Wonky Nine Patches,  I decided to audition some fabrics.   The easiest way (for me)  to do this is to lay out yardage and lay the blocks on top if it.

I started with silver gray:
It really doesn't do anything for me.  In fact I dislike it heartily.

So I did the cheerful yellow next:




I do like it much better than the silver, but I think it may be too much.

Next up was a nice sage green - this is one that I thought "why am I even auditioning this one."  I was planning to dislike it.

But like those geeky looking singing competition contestants that suddenly sing with fire and passion, it surprised me.  Not exactly fire and passion but I do like it.

Finally I had a chocolate brown.

This performed like I expected. Maybe it could stand to be a shade darker, but maybe it will work.

Okay!  You are the call-in voters.....so I want your opinion.   Which do you think works best?  Do you have a better idea?  Don't say black, that is more intense than I want for this. And white is too light, I think.
So now Speak Up.  You can either fill out the poll on the left sidebar OR leave a comment.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

17 comments:

cwade1211 said...

I like the chocolate brown. Maybe try a mid tone gray as well. Modern quilters tend to use gray as a neutral and I have come to really like the look of it.

Jeanna said...

I'm digging the brown Gene. I'm sure whatever you choose will be perfect ;)

suemac said...

How about the chocolate or a darker gray.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I thought you were going to use the blocks edge to edge. I would be using a very narrow sashing so that it doesn't take all of the attention.

Susan said...

I think they all work...depends on what kind of look you want. Personally, I'm leaning towards the bright yellow, but that could be because we woke up to over a foot of snow this morning! Wanda's suggestion of skipping the sashing completely is an interesting idea too...

Barbara said...

Brown vote from me as well!

Beth said...

I think the brown makes the blocks look warm and doesn't detract from their wonky goodness. ;)

Edgar said...

I like the brown also, but if the chocolate colour isn't working for you how about a darker brown???

Average Quilter said...

I did like the yellow but like you it was a little too much. The brown did do more for me than the others. I think a shade darker would be perfect.

Kathleen said...

Darn! I was going to say black! So how about a darker shade of gray instead?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like the brown - but would try a darker and more chocolate shade. Have you tried red or maybe a wine color?? Or a darker gray?? The possibilities are endless - I would try EVERYTHING and then decide - ;))

c said...

sorry, majority, i prefer the yellow, its bright, with wonky blocks=happy happy

Vicki W said...

I'm wondering how a print would look. I'm envisioning small dots or something like that maybe with tonal cornerstones.

Patti Williams said...

I like the yellow!

Patti Williams said...

I like the yellow!

Unknown said...

I agree with you on the grey. The yellow is fun, and I think the green is much the same as the grey. Brown is nice, but what about blue? I would look at that first, and then pick the yellow or the brown if the blue didn't look good.

Pat said...

You know me...I was prepared to like the sage green but ended up liking the brown better than that one. I don't like the grey at all. The yellow was pretty good, too.