Sunday, February 09, 2014

Weaving and Quilting

Saturday was nicely productive.  First let me  show you the latest piece on my loom.  Actually by the time I wrote this I had finished it, but I don't have a finish picture.
There is lots of color in this but it came out with a far more subtle look than I expected.  Seeing the black stripe sections, I would love to make one of only black and this warp yarn. It has an almost stained glass look.
The Wonky 9 Patch quilt is also coming along nicely.  The darker brown sashing is wonderful with the blocks. Here are two rows that are joined.  Those little white bits you see on each block are my markers.
Since I don't have a design wall, I just lay it out on the floor and then label the blocks so I know where each one goes.  The label is always at the top center - so I don't rotate the block accidentally.
For the entire quilt, I cut 2 1/4 yards of fabric into 2 1/2 inch strips. I was amazed that it will take most of it for sashing and the border.
When I am cutting strips, I sometimes just hang them on the chair back.
Then when I am cutting lots of them -and in various sizes - I like to stack and label them.
When the fabric was cut up there was  one long strip that was only 2" wide left. It is labeled also and left with the group.  And I will be doing this quilt in sections and joining it. I learned the method I use in Marguerita McManus' book Finish (Almost) Any Quilt. So you see two joining strips for the front of the quilt in this group. The odd "scrap" strips are there and labeled also - just in case I need an extra piece.
Here is one of the labels in a close-up.
Please ignore my sloppy writing, I have never had good handwriting.

The piece you saw above will have a top strip and end strips added.  Then it will be backed and quilted.  I will do each of the three sections and quilt them.  They will then be joined together and finally it will be bound and finished.  What I have learned, is that I can easily quilt a third of a queen sized quilt on my machine - and probably even half .  This makes it easier than wrestling the entire queen sized quilt for the entire quilting process.

P.S.    A commenter, mssewcrazy, asked a question.  She is a no-reply blogger so I cannot send her an email.  In answer to your question, I may consider selling my horse embroidery designs once I have what a complete set and convert them to  all of the common formats that are in typical sets for purchase.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

11 comments:

mssewcrazy said...

Glad you are going to consider selling the horse designs. I'm sure many will want them when they see a quilt using the,. I saw after I hit post the box for email will check it for future posts sorry. The brown sashing looks very nice on the new quilt.I like how you are organizing strips. I've only made one full size quilt and hand quilted it in a frame. I am more of a garment sewing person and machine embroidery though I would like to possibly do some machine quilting though I do read some quilting blogs like this one. I enjoy viewing the quilts online.

Pat said...

Love the look of the yarn you used for the black stripe in that scarf. And the wonky block quilt is coming together nicely. I still need to get serious about learning that quilting method you use since you have had such success with it.

Marjorie said...

It's all wonderful. You definitely had a productive Saturday. I love the sashing too.

Jeanna said...

You are very organized so the wonky 9-patch quilt will be done before you know it! I'm not familiar with that quilting method but I don't do a lot of my own anyway. Anything other than stitch-in-the-ditch is beyond my skill set.

Barbara said...

I agree, organization reigns here! I can see why those markers are necessary to keep from accidentally turning a block, but honestly, that would be one of those mistakes no one but yourself would notice amid the wonky frenzy! So handwriting is not your forte? You either never went to schools with nuns, or you had your knuckles rapped a lot. The weaving is simply beautiful!

suemac said...

I know what you mean about sloppy handwriting. This is a girl who got C's in penmanship. Love how that brown sashing looks with the blocks.

kathyinozarks said...

I am really loving your wonky quilt more and more-and I love the brown sashing-I think that color is perfect! My weaving is calling to me more and more as I see your beautiful pieces. I am determined to finish the quilt I am working on first though, so I don't get side tracked-again-lol It's a memory quilt of my Mom before she got dementia. when I am finished with it, I think I will enjoy it for awhile and then pass it on to my brother up in Indiana as he is her caregiver now. Happy Sunday Kathy

Beth said...

That scarf is really eye candy. Love that black. This one seems to just have so much texture and color.
The wonky blocks are happy withthe color you chose. ;)

Barb said...

Now that is a productive day!!!!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Love your weaving Gene...it is always so beautiful. Your quilt is coming along nicely...thanks for sharing :)

Kelly

Pat Merkle said...

The weaving looks wonderful. Lots of depth. Your wonky nine patch is coming along nicely too!