Friday, February 07, 2014

Equestrian Stitches

The "Second Horse" from an earlier post didn't sew out well.  There were two areas that were a bit threadbare.   I took the file back to the drawing board and reworked it until I was satisfied.
(I am writing this on Thursday night, it will post very early Friday.)  Tonight I had some tasks to do, but I set up the embroidery machine with the files and hooped fabric and thread.  I started it and let it go while I did some other chores.  Such as winding yarn into "balls" which are really more like yarn "cakes."  The yarn pulls from the center and doesn't roll around the floor.  I am happy I invested in the yarn winder.
Yarn Ball Winder

Skeins re-wound into center pull balls
I also had some mundane chores...and some of those are still waiting for my attention.

But about those horses - They sewed out nicely.  Here is a "not so good" picture of them side by side for size comparison.  The small hoop is a 4" hoop. The larger is a 5" by 7" hoop.
Now, how about some good pictures of the individually?
Large horse

Smaller horse
I can't help it.  I love the horse embroideries I have been doing.   I plan to put them all together in a crazy quilt of embroidered horses. (unless I change my mind!)

My friend Barbara at Pineland Treasures  is having a giveaway of a lovely hat she knitted.  As cold as the weather has been - you may need one.  I wouldn't mind winning it myself, but I am telling you so you have a chance also.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

12 comments:

Marjorie said...

My goodness Gene, these horses get better and better. Yes, they will be gorgeous in a crazy quilt.

Teresa Quilts said...

These horses are so pretty, Gene. I think they will be beautiful in anything you make with them.

Barb said...

Oh...I can see why you love these horses....they are wonderful.

What a useful tool, your yarn winder!

The Slow Quilter said...

Hi Gene: I have never seen a yarn ball winder. When I go out a buy yarn, and Tom is driving, I just just start winding my yarn into balls. By the time I get home they are already balled. Love the horses, what embrodiery machine are you using.

Pat Merkle said...

I am just loving all of your horses!

suemac said...

Love the horse in turquoise.

Barbara said...

Gene, your winder is great! I chuckled when I read about yarn on the floor. That's where mine always is as I work (no winder here). I liked your horse yesterday, but am REALLY liking it more today. He looks so much healthier!

Rhonda said...

Love the prancing horses!! I like the crazy quilt idea, too.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful horses!! I'm looking forward to seeing all the horses together in a quilt.

Beth said...

First....I love the horses, I didn't notice any areas that needed work before, but they are sure are perfect now.
Second...I am so getting a yarn winder. It has been on my wish list the last 2 Christmases. I think I better just get it my self. Either the yarn is rolling all over the place or I have to use my knees and wind. No really a comfortable position. LOL

mssewcrazy said...

I'm a fairly recent reader of your blog. I love what you are doing with the horse embroideries. Do you have any plans to sell the designs? My daughter and her husband are veterinarians and have always been horse crazy. Your designs are looking amazing. Look forward to seeing a horse quilt that you do with them.

Jeanna said...

I need that yarn ball winder a couple of weeks ago when I decided that I didn't like the way my granny stripe afghan was turning out. Center pull wound yarn is the BEST1

Your horses are coming along very nicely :)